My School Uniform Is More Important Than Academics | Teen Ink

My School Uniform Is More Important Than Academics MAG

At my school, a private, all girls school, uniforms are by far the most important thing according to the teachers and administration.

Monday: Today is a non-uniform day but I decide not to dress down. I would rather wear my uniform than be called out by a teacher because I am wearing leggings and my shirt is not fingertip length. “Everyone who is wearing leggings stand up.” says a teacher in one of my classes. Girls wearing leggings reluctantly stand up and all but one of them is giving a Friday Morning Service. Every morning when I walk out of morning meeting, I am met by a series of teachers eyeing me. I think to myself, “Is my skirt too short? Is my shirt not fingertip length? Is my shirt tucked in? Are my socks the right color? Am I wearing the right shoes? Did I remember my blazer?” These are the things going through my mind as I walk to first period.

Tuesday: Today is a dress day. Oxford button down, plaid skirt, blazer, black shoes, solid white, purple, or grey socks, and NO nike sports socks. I get to school and realize that I have forgotten my blazer. Assembly rolls around and I along with a few other unlucky girls are told to stay after. “This is a warning” one teacher says, “The next time you get called out you will receive a Friday Morning Service.”

Wednesday: Today is a casual day. Polo shirt, lavender or grey skirt, closed toe shoes, and solid white, purple, or grey socks. I squeeze into my purple skirt which seems to be shaped as a corset. I suck my stomach in try to button it. I put my polo on and head to school. I have a headache and I go to the nurse. While I am there, a teacher points out that my skirt is extremely short. School has just started. I have not had time to try on all of my skirts to make sure they fit. This one is so tight I can’t pull it down any further so I simply nod and apologize. When I am home I immediately take of my skirt and feel as though I can breath again.

Thursday: Today is another dress day, only this time I remember my blazer. I get through first period and assembly and I have just gotten to my 2nd block. My button down has come untucked and I reach down to re-tuck it so that I don’t get in trouble. “What are you doing?” my teacher asks me. “I am just trying to tuck in my shirt” I respond. “Why don’t you go to the bathroom, you are making me and others uncomfortable. Imagine if I started tucking in my shirt in front of the class. You wouldn’t like that would you?” I am frustrated with the fact that I got in trouble in the act of trying to abide to the uniform code so I sit back down and I begin my work.

Friday: Today is the final casual day of the week. I have PE first period so I come to school dressed in my PE uniform, nike shorts with my school logo, and any t-shirt from my school. My hair must be pulled back and I must be wearing athletic shoes. When I get to school I realize that I have accidentally grabbed a shirt that is not from my school and at this point there is nothing I can do. I am called out and told that I must make up the points that I lost from being out of uniform within a week. I am in high school. I have sports, volunteering, and many other after school commitments that I am expected to attend. Yet I must miss one to make up points because of a uniform violation in PE.

It is the end of the week and I am tired of fighting. I am tired of being told that my skirt is too short or that my socks are not the right color. I am tired of teachers being more concerned about my uniform than they are about my education. I am tired of being told that my short skirt is distracting to the male faculty. I am tired of going to an all girls school where I am taught that I must cover up my body.

I don’t want the little girls going to my school to be shamed the same way that my peers and I are. I want them to be treated with respect. I want them to be taught that they are beautiful and that they can wear what they want and be proud of it.

I need my school to change. I need them to get with the times.