Ace the Test | Teen Ink

Ace the Test

By pawki_mishra BRONZE, Varanasi, Other
pawki_mishra BRONZE, Varanasi, Other

"You have two options, to live or to exist." -Harry Styles

An astronomical object consisting of a luminous spheroid of plasma held together by its own gravity, visible to naked eye from appearing as a multitude of fixed luminous points in the sky due to their immense distance from Earth.

Amused? Well it is just a little or a little too much elaborate description of one of the most calming things one could ever see. STARS!

This is how we are introduced to a new topic. Science is taught as if it is some alien language with the most complex thesaurus which at no level could be understood but just be mugged up to get those ‘golden letters’ on board; An A+.

The problem starts with the way a new information is delivered. Complicated vocabulary, serious faces and a rush to complete the syllabus.

The image of an ideal scientist set in our minds is a person sitting alone in a lab mixing chemicals in some elaborate and confusing procedure which needs to be changed. Science is not as complicated as it is showcased. Choice of words has the major effect in developing the interest of the child. A rainbow would always attract more than an arc of circle exhibiting the colours of spectrum. Why? Because anyone and everyone under the sun, would be fascinated by the things which are relatable. Generalized. And hence, understandable.

Students should be involved in developing conceptual framework to enhance problem solving skills.

Humans have always been curious about the natural world and the stuff that makes it up. The Book of Job in the Old Testament contains speculation about why the stars of the Pleiades are bound together, while those of Orion are scattered. Centuries before we formalised the scientific method, we had thoughtful and playful experiments with light, glass and water as well as astonishingly careful observations of the stars. People dreamed up imaginative theories of what might be going on up in rainbows and down inside liquids and solids. It wasn’t always right, but science can be a messy business on the path to truth.

The Royal Society emphasises “experimental” over “practical” science, where curiosity goes beyond following a recipe and people simply try things – a thoughtful way of looking for answers. We need to reverse recent trends and increase the amount of time and money invested in experimental and problem-solving work in science and education through access to adequately resourced laboratories and well-trained teachers.

Just another drop in the ocean :)