Technology’s Pragmatic Influence in Education | Teen Ink

Technology’s Pragmatic Influence in Education

May 5, 2021
By EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York
EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell


According to Education Week, American public schools have spent $3 billion in technology, with the federal government making high-speed internet and online resources affordable and free to even the most secluded schools. Internet access in public schools grew from 8% in 1995 to 97% in 2005. In fact, the US Department of Education concludes that 90% of teachers had a computer in the classroom in 2013. Today, these numbers have only grown exponentially.

However, we must take the costs of technology into account when shifting to newer and more interactive technologies. While some argue that technology distracts students in the classroom and benefits the wealthy, the majority reports full participation and instant feedback for students as a result of the use of technology in classrooms (University of Rochester). The resources for effective technological integration are already set up in advance for teachers to use in their classrooms. Teachers can even combat distracted students using GoGuardian software to check up on students’ progress. As public schools provide the same technology for all their students, wealth inequality is negated. Furthermore, technology creates a more interactive, personalized experience for students. In Syosset, many students utilize technologies such as Google Classroom, Remind, Quizlet, and Peardeck, which provide seamless integration into the busy technology-filled lives of many fellow students.

The long-term benefits of technology use in classrooms center around a more individualized learning model rather than the general learning model of the past. Instead of evaluating student progress subjectively, teachers are now provided with increased insight into how individual students are struggling. In fact, the reminders about homework or projects due follow students home rather than being left behind in school. Even better, parents can now check up on their child’s progress at their own leisure and talk to their child’s teacher to resolve any disputes without having to take time off their work to visit their child’s school. Applications such as Infinite Campus and email allow many parents to easily check their child’s coursework grades and follow up with their child’s teachers with any suggestions or complaints.

Since the benefits of technology far outweigh the disadvantages, it is in the best interest of educational institutions to continue to utilize the latest educational tools available to them through the technology sector.