Importance of Grades | Teen Ink

Importance of Grades

September 20, 2021
By Anonymous

I hate that the school system only cares about one thing - NUMBERS. It's always been numbered. Students are expected to get above a 50% on assignments Or risk failure. Do we even realize how strong of language you’re using? Think about it. You are basically looking at your child, whether they are five or eighteen, and saying “If you don't get this grade” or “If you don't do this assignment now...” then they are considered a failure. Don't you see how hurtful that sounds?

It's always been the same mantras shoved down your throat. 

“Stay in School”

 “Pay attention in class” 

“Go to college”

 But when has that actually been useful to us?; When has a system dominated by judgment based on numbers been truly justified?

 

To give an example, back when I was starting out in making digital videos on TikTok, my content consisted of me putting myself into a character and telling silly stories. But in the eyes of a school system, if I were to present this to the class, would the motivation still be as strong? Would I even be encouraged to continue and hone my skill as a creator? I don't think so. In this scenario, if I were to show up to class, and present one of my videos, I’d be judged and; criticized harshly.


“This is so cringy”
“Wow... So immature.”

“Why are there so many spelling errors”

“This is really inappropriate”

“Oh my god... Why are you being so violent” 

“What is this? It looks like it was made by a baby”


 I believe if this scenario was real, I would have likely either Failed or gotten a low 46% but that's just an estimate. Point being, just for simply putting my creativity out there, I would have failed to the standard of a judgemental system. 


I believe we as students deserve a fair system -  a fair shot if you will. This system of numbers has been in place since the industrial ages. Back then, school was made to snuff creativity. You MUST take math, you MUST take English, you MUST take History. All these requirements, and yet we live in a world where creativity is now highly encouraged, where we now have a choice. It isn't just office jobs sitting in a cubical anymore. We have better technology and more opportunities for this generation. And yet they’re all going to waste because of the ancient school system.


 Not only are we encouraging students to put their passions to the side, because “Getting a stable job is more important,” but students' mental health is also rapidly declining. When students are given a test back, and they see a D or an F, how do you think they will react? I can't think of any instance where someone getting a low grade was happy about it. Instead what I’ve seen and experienced is a wave of anxiety, sadness, and then those feelings lead to punishments. And it's not like that is much better. 


Last year, I think we can all agree was tough, but the worst feeling to me was looking at my grades on infinite campus and seeing the F’s in my classes. I felt so terrible - like it was because I was stupid. I remember laying in my bed, covers pulled as far as they could be over me, curled up in a ball, my phone next to me. Sad. Afraid. Confused. I was always so worried about expectations, what was thought of me. That my grades defined who I was, and seeing the effect numbers had on me, made me start to think... Why is this the way that school is set up? If school really is meant to be a hall of acceptance, and knowledge, and a place to feel safe being yourself, then why? Why use a system so hurtfully judgemental? 

 

And why is this even important in the eyes of society?


The author's comments:

I'm a weirdo