Grades | Teen Ink

Grades

Should schools have grades? This is a great question, in my opinion being a student myself and seeing the pressure that kids are in the overwhelming environment of a school. We would get more done if we didn’t have to worry about tests and grades. We could all just focus on learning. The learning is getting thrown aside for just learning the curriculum and “getting good grades” in order to get into the college of our choice. We're throwing away the learning part of school for the outdated curriculum. 

I think that we should still have to get quizzes essays projects etc. But instead of getting a grade, we should learn off of what we did wrong. Getting a bad grade personally feels like getting a punishment. Shouldn’t it be a learning moment, not something that is a punishment? The stressing studying relooking and looking again at notes trying to learn what we didn’t in class. A teacher shouldn’t tell you have to study at home to pass the test yes a quick look at your notes and a worksheet is fine but when your looking at your notes for hours trying to learn the material because there is too much just shouldn’t be a thing. 

There should be some intervention I understand the grades provide motivation to do good but in the end should that be the motivation or the desire to learn. Schools need to change the way they teach or there is going to be real problems and there is starting to be with how people think how they act and how they are mentally. “13% of youth 12-17 have depression according to the 2020 stats” this has to do in effect with that kids have been locked inside with covid and all going on kids are rowdy and need friends and people to talk to when you cut this off you have changes in the kids they don’t before. But I feel like the icing on the cake was that we had to worry about our grades am I going to pass am I behind due to covid. Were supposed to be the same be in the same world. We had 2 years of our lives stuck inside. Worried about an invisible force that we can’t control. We can’t see that just hurts because that is its natural survival instinct. 

We're expected to just know everything we missed. We were taught less learned less not used to “the normal” learning. We learned everything from last year in a month. Everything in school builds. How are we supposed to build off the old topics when we never learned them. Last year we didn’t learn but now all the problems not caused by the kids are no the kids. The schools made the best of a bad situation but due to how school is structured we still have to learn the curriculum. Is this fair that's for you to decide?