Education should be designed for everyone | Teen Ink

Education should be designed for everyone

By jerryhu BRONZE, Irvine, California
jerryhu BRONZE, Irvine, California

Over half of America’s states are experiencing special education teacher shortages. The Department of Education reports that 45% of schools reported vacancies in special education roles, and 78% reported difficulty hiring special education staff. The result of this disaster led to many combined classes between general and special education. Not only is this issue overwhelming regular teachers, but it also signifies the lack of aid and attention special children typically receive, resulting in a dangerous learning environment.

The shortages are mainly attributable to an increasing and excessive workload and virtual education, which made this already difficult job even more challenging. Facing challenges such as a severe lack of attention span, special needs kids require specific aids from their education. This problem will, however, further reduce opportunities to limit their potential. 

One attempted solution being in action right now is the three-point plan founded by the Biden administration. The first step is to partner with recruitment firms to find new potential applicants by encouraging potential newcomers. Second, funding the other prospective teachers’ training will allow more people to embrace this opportunity for the last and final part. Raising the pay rate will drastically encourage long-term job succession. 

While this ongoing plan successfully recruits new teachers, it must address root systemic issues within special education: the need for more interest in this complex teaching criteria. In order to find a possible solution, it is necessary to target the origin of the issue.

Being in the field of special education takes more effort to engage. Therefore, it is essential to advertise this career choice to new professionals. By utilizing the potential benefits and mentioning new individual perks, the amount of employment could increase. Using descriptive language to introduce the privilege of this high-expectation career could be an excellent way to advertise this job to the majority. By introducing welfare programs such as free therapy sessions for burned-out special ed teachers or enacting more flexible hours and appealing pay rates, more people might see themselves within the qualification categories.

Hopefully, with a sufficient number of people who have taken a special interest in this job with specific requirements, more dedicated organizations could embrace their curriculum for the qualifications of special education teachers. There are approximately 200 more regular teaching facilities than special education facilities in the United States; therefore, with significant interest, more organizations could be established to accommodate special education majors. After training, these teachers would eventually be distributed more across the United States as functional members of society. 

The current crisis in special education creates an unfair opportunity for students with various disabilities. In order to improve upon the issue, using appealing formats such as advertisements and perks could bring new professionals into a career in special education. With special privileges such as therapy sessions to accommodate the stress of this teaching style or a more flexible schedule to prevent overworking, the world of education could improve using this solution. Of course, it will likely not eradicate the entire shortage. However, a boost in employment will possibly show a positive trend.

Everyone deserves equal opportunity!