Many or One? | Teen Ink

Many or One?

October 4, 2023
By EmiX GOLD, Shenzhen, Other
EmiX GOLD, Shenzhen, Other
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Home is behind, the world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.


Imagine being a chosen warrior setting off on an adventure full of monsters and hardship. You stand in the arms storage, facing two options: do you carry one sharp, cutting edge sword, or 100 passable blunt swords? As much as it sounds like a Tolkien’s fantasy novel, we have faced – or would face – the same decision on the first day of school. We stare blankly at the subject choice form – the armory – at the subjects – the swords – the sole preparation before we embark on the arduous adventure of life. The same dilemma arises. There is simply too many choice to choose from. Should we take as many arms and ammunitions as possible? Or should we focus on sharpening a particular one?

 

On the one hand, choosing a wide range of subjects – or ammunitions – definitely haves an edge. A variety of weapons prepares one for many difficulties, and seize many opportunities. A long sword might be effective against a bear, but a dagger is better when it comes to hare hunting. Likewise, it’s no use trying to apply knowledge in biological molecules to the stock market. It is nor practical to write a discursive essay to solve a math problem. Choosing a range of subject allows one to wield many powers and apply it to many life circumstances. Calculating sales tax? Math classes got you covered. Wishing to lose weight? Thanks biology for giving ideas on a healthy diet. Want to persuade some one? Use that classic argumentative style essay you learned last week. Studying wide makes ones more prepared, ready and all set. In fact, the sooner the student make this choice, the better, as it allows them to actually explore their field of interest. Some students can memorize hundreds of historical events, but can’t compute basic arithmetic. How could they realize their strength and shortcomings? By actively experiencing different subjects, of course.  What’s more, the future of subjects is volatile. A whole discipline can crash with one false basis. Alchemy in the 18th, for example. Defeated by chemistry and never granted alchemists other ways outs. But if an alchemist’s studies different subjects, he or she might have easily changed course, and escape the downfall of their principal discipline.

 

But when examined more closely, the superiority of specializing subjects seemed to shine. Though it’s true that a variety to subjects could have many utilities, the utilities only concern daily, routine ones, such as calculating tax or examining time. These does not help one make a living. Employers does not seek for people who merely daps the water. No. They want people who really dived in. Because anyone could learn the foundations of subjects, there’s no showcase of actual ability. But a dedication in a particular field demonstrates your interest, girt, and specialties. We have got 7 billion people on this Earth, and our societies would cease to function without people focusing on particular jobs in a particular field. Let’s take teachers, for example. Would you trust the professionality of the teacher if he or she were assigned to teach university level English, physics, computer science, and sociology? We sharpen our swords because it’s what the employers wanted, it’s what makes a living, and it’s what the society required. Many of the times, the choices given to us are not the best ones. Only very few people can confidently declare that they are fond of a particular school subject: physics is not as fun as Phys ed, and computer science is not even comparable to computer games. Many people randomly chose subjects as they enter A Levels, and choose “the best one out of the bad bunch,” for their university majors. Interestingly, that’s how love for a subject begins. As one learns more, accomplishes more in a discipline, the positive feedback of self-esteem and confidence builds up from the achievements, which gradual cumulates as warmness towards the subject. Therefore, for most people, it’s not experiencing a wide range of subjects that finds their interests. It is settling down for one.

 

On the surface, it might seem that studying a wide range of subjects is better than a sharp focus. Undeniably, multiple subject knowledge is useful for a range of real life problems, and could aid in discovering one’s interests. However, a deep focus and deep achievement on one subject is what our society needs. Without it, it would be hard to make a living. What’s more, the love for a subject is gradual, and comes with the amount of time one spends studying it. So, don’t be hesitant now. Pick up that sharp sword from the armory and start your epic adventure.  


The author's comments:

Intended to be in a discursive style.