Submitted by 11:59: A Seasoned Observation on the Hows and Whys of Procrastination | Teen Ink

Submitted by 11:59: A Seasoned Observation on the Hows and Whys of Procrastination

October 8, 2023
By elaineunleashed GOLD, Beijing, Other
elaineunleashed GOLD, Beijing, Other
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
And one day he would look back upon the fool and know the fool.


So you’re familiar with procrastination, being a student and all. It must seem to you like an irritating curse that stubbornly refuses to fulfill your hope of having a productive day, week, month, or year. And although that reference toFriends was a bit effortless, I do have here a more sophisticated guide on. Of course, this titular guide is only meant to advise instead of instruct you on the Dos and Don’ts , since everyone’s procrastination behaves differently, similar to how everyone prefers their own unique flavor of ice cream to gorge on.
 
If I were to tell you to stop procrastinating this instant, would you do so? The reason your answer might be a reluctant “yes” or an honest “no” is the exact reason you can’t get your work done. The thing is, this question is too big. Its intentions are good, yes, but it’s also vague and unpracticable at the same time. Our mind is simply unable to process, analyze and execute this question since there is no clear task that specifies what actions you need to take in order to stop procrastination. This is the same with work you’re assigned to do: if you consider the goal to be “finishing the work with quality”, then you will end up nowhere. It’s always helpful to dissect your work into smaller loads so you have an accurate frame of what you actually want to achieve in a certain amount of time.
 
Ok, I’ve done the plan. Now what? Now you do it. And that’s the hard part, doing it. Never think that finishing a task is easy, because the only case in which this statement might be true is when you decide to devote less effort into your task. And I’m not telling you to think of it as hard either: picture it as one of the fundamental operations to sustain life, in the biological sense. You don’t eat to enjoy the food——you can, and delicious food what we all aim to have, but you don’t need to enjoy it in order to ingest enough energy for your survival. The same is with work. It would be ideal to learn and grow as a person from doing work, but at the end of the day, if you don’t finish your work, you can’t even experience growth.
 
We often let our fear of imperfection and our own expectation towards ourselves overwhelm us in the most destructive way, and that is, not doing work because you can’t accept the fact that it might be unideal. The mere possibility, the thought of paying effort and time into a project and receiving criticism is terrifying to some, and honestly, the method of evaluation in the education system isn’t doing much to help relieve this stress. Growing and achieving, as a learner, can come from places other than summatives and the comments of teachers. Once you realize that, it’s much easier to start working.
 
Right, now go make that plan.


The author's comments:

The original sin of students: our inability to refuse the temptation of putting off work.