Something Overrated | Teen Ink

Something Overrated

October 26, 2023
By MaxxI BRONZE, Bellflower, California
MaxxI BRONZE, Bellflower, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I have so much homework” is something that is said by many highschoolers. Homework is given by teachers to do and bring back to school on the due date. Homework can be complicated or easy, but something that they all have in common is excessive stress. Although homework can help students remember what they learned in school, it is overrated because it is too time consuming, and takes away from the other activities that students can be involved in.

The primary reason that homework is overrated is because it takes too much time. All homework takes time to complete, sometimes making students lose sleep. Just last night I stayed up until 12:30 AM doing homework because the homework pile was too much. A friend of mine always comes to school sleepy and drowsy, one day I asked the reason and they said that the homework they get is overwhelming and causes them to stay up to the early mornings doing homework. If homework is interfering with the mental and health state of students and it is being used excessively around schools, then homework is overrated.

Another important reason that homework is overrated is because it takes the opportunity of being involved in activities. A majority of high schoolers are involved in some kind of extracurricular activities ranging from sports, a physical extracurricular activity,  to clubs, a small group of people united for one goal. Most high schoolers get a great amount of homework daily, this mixture of activities and homework creates a disaster. This puts too much stress and pressure on students, sometimes causing them to give up on extracurricular activities. If homework is stripping students of the opportunity to be involved and stand out, consequently homework is overrated.

Although homework, school work outside of school can be beneficial, for example, it can help students remember what they learned in school, students can do the same in other ways such as studying. Studying helps students learn and retain information. Most university students do not have homework, but they study from 1 to 3 hours a day. And if you compare the grades of high school students to college students, although college is harder than high school, the average gpa of college students is higher than that of high school students. So if there is an easier and more effective way to retain information other than homework, then homework is overrated.

In conclusion students should not have to worry about losing sleep, or having to quit extra curricular activities just to keep up with their homework. There is a more effective way to retain information other than homework. Therefore Homework is overrated and overused.


The author's comments:

I had fun writing this in 40 minutes in class