Classroom Environments: Do they change a student's behavior/progress? | Teen Ink

Classroom Environments: Do they change a student's behavior/progress?

By HavishB BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
HavishB BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey

It is your first day of school. As you walk into your first-period classroom, you see nothing but your classmates who are bored and not enthusiastic about learning. You also have a terrible teacher. But the worst of all is that in your classroom, you see no decorations but just boring posters. As you exit your first-period classroom, you enter your second-period classroom. As you walk in, the one thing that catches your eye is the entire classroom setting itself. You see a lot of vibrant colors but at the same time, you have a good teacher. Your teacher is helping your classmates and you realize a whole change from your first period compared to your second period in the student's behavior. On the other hand, this example is a similar situation to how various classroom environments have affected students in learning plus how they behave. In South Korea, academic performance is an important demeanor for success. Students get a specific lighting/color for their classrooms which affects a student's mood and performance while learning. This is how a classroom environment affects a student's behavior/progress whether it's good or bad.   

To continue, the hypothesis was that many people in a good classroom environment had better focus or behaviors than those in a classroom environment that is not positive. When observing students and teachers around Brooklawn Middle School, most classroom teachers communicate/help students whenever they need help. Some students are also affected in learning because of the classroom setting. When walking into multiple classrooms, the lights are turned off in some classrooms, and many teachers aren’t socializing with students, Therefore, when the lights are turned on, many students and the teachers are more interactive with students making it more comfortable with whom they are talking. (Brooklawn Investigation). To move on, this aspect of learning also affects mood and behavioral changes. 

How much of an impact can a classroom environment make on students? The Notre Dame Academy conveyed that an appropriately developed classroom environment will encourage students to be great at what they do, instead of hurting children (Ndasd.org). This proves that a good classroom environment can have a positive impact on students no matter what positive changes happen in a classroom. Whether it is good teaching or a good atmosphere in the classroom. Another piece of evidence stated by the Notre Dame Academy shared that students who go to a safe school and create positive learning relationships, as well as show focused behavior, have a better learning advantage over students who don't (Ndasd.org). This depicts that even multiple relationships with peers and teachers in a classroom also impact students' behaviors and progress. The National Center of Supportive Learning also explained a school environment is critically related to educational success as it can improve class attendance, retention, and graduation rates. In another study, it was investigated that a positive school environment can decrease substance use, teenage pregnancy in high school, and dropping out of school (Classroom.Direct.co.uk.com). Furthermore, this explanation suggests that a good school environment not only can improve kids' behaviors academically but also can prevent students from doing things that can harm them. Some advice that is suggested for teachers is to start engaging kids in learning to make new changes to their classrooms so students can enjoy the classes but still be educated. 

In conclusion, many different classroom environments whether good or bad affect a student's behavior/progress. Learning can be impacted a lot in the future, based on many of these aspects in classrooms. As many schools adopt new ways of learning it will be more impactful for student's success in the future. Now, if many schools follow these steps of having a good Classroom Environment it will change the way a student behaves and performs academically.