The Changes of School | Teen Ink

The Changes of School

By wicked-crazy SILVER, Henderson, Minnesota
wicked-crazy SILVER, Henderson, Minnesota

"If you wait to do things until you know they're right, you'll probably never do much of anything." ~Win Borden

Whatever happened to crayon stealing drama, not boyfriend stealing drama? And what happened to math without the alphabet? What happened to being 'fake' meaning you weren't really injured, not being a stupid s***? What happened to nap time, not free period? What happened to gym class being games played with Nerf balls, not actual sports? What happened to passing notes, not crude Facebook messages? What happened to permission slips to watch PG movies, not for Sex Ed.? What happened to 'cutting yourself' meaning an accident on Arts and Crafts day, not being emo? What happened to 'good music' meaning anything that came from Disney, not having a competition to see who likes the weirdest artist? Whatever happened to mean teachers being ones that made you stay in during recess, not stay after school? How did 'big books' go from 60 pages to 500 pages? What happened to needing a quarter to buy lip gloss in a bathroom, not tampons? Why did CD players being cool to iPods being amazing? What happened to 'indoor lunch' meaning watching movies, or playing in the gym, not trying to sneak outside anyway? What happened to dating being holding hands during lunch, not making out during lunch? How did getting cooties change to getting STDs? Why did bringing babies to school used to mean dolls, now it means actual children?

So what I'm saying is, don't beat yourself up about the small stuff in school, because everything can change so quickly.

I just kind of realized how everything changed and how everything so simple seemed like just yesterday.

lovetildeath GOLD, Virginia Beach, Virginia

I'm selfish, impatient, & a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, & at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- Marilyn Monroe

This is so bittersweet.It brings back memories but it makes me realize we aren"t as innocent as we used to be.

_Mags_ SILVER said...
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

i love this and i agree with you. I wish i was still a kid, when you were 8 you could do anything you wanted to. and where i come from me and my friends still listen to disney, we sing mulan songs in the car.

:D 'ank you.

LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

O.O *speechless*

Thank you for reveiwing. I think that's very very true, and I saw that in people so...this happened:)

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I sometimes ask the same questions every day when I go to school. I answered myself simply: 'things change.' It's a little sad, though. I think that a teenager doesn't lose their innocence, but their desire to remain so. And part of growing up is the change of lifestyle and what you think is complicated.

Thanks for writing this thought-provoking article!

Exactly. That's why I wrote about it.

Scarecrow BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

"A father is a banker provided by nature."

-French Proverb

Didn't those things seem as complicated back then as these things do now?