Cell Phones in School | Teen Ink

Cell Phones in School

By honey102 BRONZE, Pennsylvania
honey102 BRONZE, Pennsylvania

Do you take your cell phone with you to work, and use it all day long for organization and needed communication? Well, school to us students is like our work, but our organization and communication tool is prohibited. Cell phones have so many positive uses in the classrooms, yet at the same time we aren’t putting our current technology to good use. For example, cell phones in our school are banned, and I feel that this should be changed immediately. The many benefits of cell phones in school are the following: they increase student participation, student/teacher safety, student organization, and student records and grades.

Lets face it, modern technology is fun, and students love to have fun. Moreover, if we bring that exciting technology into the classroom than we can create a more relaxed and enjoyable environment for the students and the teachers. For instance, instead of taking notes in class the students can record a lecture so that they could replay it back while doing homework. In addition, if in science the students do a lab experiment then they can take a video of that lab and replay it for homework and further understanding. Furthermore, classes can download a school program onto their phones and the teachers can use it in the classroom. According to a Speak Up survey, 62 percent of parents report that if their child’s school allowed cell phones to be used in school they would probably purchase a cell phone for their child. As a result, the school would not have to worry about supplying the students with phones, and most students already have cell phones. This is only one great way that cell phones are beneficial.

When students carry around cell phones they also increase student and teacher safety. For example, if someone falls down the stairs and gets badly injured students can call the ambulance quicker than telling a teacher and then having to call. Also, if there is a school intrusion somebody can call the authorities with their cell phones. Consequently, f students do not have cell phones in these types of emergencies then help will not be provided soon enough. In other words, students need to have cell phones in school in case these emergencies happen.
On the other hand, cell phones are also organization tools. For instance, the other day I came home from school and started my regular routine. I let my two dogs out, then grabbed a snack and sat down with my book bag. Then I preceded to take out my assignment book, but what I found, however, is that I appeared to have left my assignment book in my locker. Again. When this happens I have only my memory to tell me what my homework was, and that is not very reliable after a long day at school. I do have my phone with me, however. If we were allowed to have cell phones in school I could have plugged my homework into the calender for today, and as a result have been able to do it. That way I wouldn’t have to worry about carrying around that small book with scribbled assignements in it. Students always check their phones when they are at home, so every time they pick up their cell phone they would be reminded of their homework tonight. And if a student had a test the next day the teachers could remind the students to set an alarm telling them to study that night. If students are better reminded about their homework, grades will go up because students will be doing their homework. The school will also save money because they will not have to buy assignment books.

In addition to organization, having cell phones in school would also give the students better disciplinary records. The other day, I forgot to transfer my phone to my locker in the morning, so it was in my backpack in class. I was not using it, but someone called me and it got taken away. I did nothing wrong but now this is something against me. Students would not be getting in trouble for having phones, which means less detentions and suspensions. That will also make the students feel better about themselves because they are not getting in trouble for phones. Academic records will also be improved as students can listen to music on their phones which helps students study. Music also blocks out noises of loud classmates and helps students concentrate in study halls or homework times. And if students are having more fun in school they will pay attention more and remember the material.

In conclusion, cell phones should be allowed in school because they increase participation, safety, organization, and records.There are so many benefits to having this technology in school. I know that I would find the school day more enjoyable if we could incorporate cell phones into the lessons, and so would my friends and classmates. We need to save ourselves from the old teaching ways and embrace the new technology that is out there and given to us.

caeden-the-best, Mcbain, Michigan
Thanks so much this help a lot for my research paper!

Lwky.flex said...
Thxs it helped alot i love it∆∆

Lwky.flex said...
Thxs it helped alot i love it∆∆