Should Computers Replace Textbooks? | Teen Ink

Should Computers Replace Textbooks?

April 11, 2015
By BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida
BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida
74 articles 1 photo 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”
G.K. Chesterton

"And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you."
Denis Johnson


Many people think that computers should replace textbooks because they are cheaper. However, I believe that computers should not replace textbooks. Computers shouldn’t replace textbooks because using computers decreases concentration, increases school spending, and creates physical health problems.

 

Spending time on a computer can actually decrease concentration. As I was reading through Achieve3000, I found an article called, “Higher Screen Time, Lower Grades.” From the article I learned that a “potential problem with electronic devices…is the way they promote multitasking.” As I read this, I realized that if students actually were to use computers rather than textbooks, it could result in students going on social media websites or simply other websites that aren’t encouraged to be on at school such gaming websites or even inappropriate sites. As you can see, students’ concentration would be greatly decreases as a result of using a computer rather than a course book. In contrast, you can guess that these students who didn’t use computers for textbooks probably were much more focused and were able to concentrate and grasp the concept held within the schoolbook. I can actually relate to this concept within my own life. I was homeschooled on the computer from 3rd grade to 7th grade. I used only online textbooks all five of those school years. To be completely honest, I normally did other things like listen to music or play games as I attempted to read the computerized book. Therefore, using the computer rather than a hardcover textbook showed many more distractions and much less concentration.

 

Concentration isn’t the only thing that’s a major concern if we use virtualized textbooks; spending is a huge problem as well.  From the article, “Schools Make Cuts” from Achieve3000, I discovered that “many school districts around the country will still struggle to break even…” From this, I learned that many schools are already just barely breaking even, so if they were to replace textbooks with computers…well; it just simply isn’t realistic because it could jeopardize the school. Also, I learned in another article, “Are You Ready, Schools?” that it really does cost more to replace course books with computers. This actually surprised me that at first, I thought it was just an opinionated statement; but they had facts to prove it to be true. The usual cost for a printed textbook is around $105, however, it can be used for a little longer than five years. If schools replaced textbooks with computers (like an iPad), the school would be spending $499 or more for just one iPad. On top of that price, the school would have to pay around $15 for each virtual textbook. However, the license to use the textbook on the iPad would only last one year. If that iPad could even last for five years within the hands of one student, “the e-textbooks plus the iPad would cost schools more than a hardback textbook,” says “Are You Ready, Schools?” Therefore, if schools were to use technology for textbooks, we as citizens would most likely be paying a lot more in taxes to just keep a school from going bankrupt. From all of this research and evidence that I’ve gathered, I realized that by replacing textbooks with computers, it would actually increase school spending.

 

Replacing textbooks with computers would also jeopardize your physical health. According to the article, “Computer-related Injuries,” it states that, “long periods of using a computer can increase your chance of developing an injury.” After reading this, it reminded me of my mother. My mom works within the field of technology and computers. It is because she sits in front of the computer all day that she has obtained injuries. These injuries that she has gotten are: severe back and neck pain, horrid headaches, and even eyestrain. However, these are only a few of the injuries my mother and students could get. If schools were to replace textbooks with computers, kids would be at a higher risk of receiving: back/neck pain, headaches/migraines, shoulder/arm pain, muscle/tendon pain, eyestrain, and it could increase your risk of obesity. Therefore, by replacing textbooks with computers, you are also increasing the risk of injury. 

 

 Increasing computer use by replacing textbooks with them would only result in a disaster. Using computers rather than textbooks will reduce concentration, rise school spending, and increase the risk of injury. Technology is such a harmful thing; so why would we want to envelop our youth with it?