Our Declaration of Independence | Teen Ink

Our Declaration of Independence

By LittlePurz SILVER, Pittsfield, Illinois
LittlePurz SILVER, Pittsfield, Illinois

The Declaration of Independence

In Pittsfield High School, October 31, 2018.

The unanimous declaration of the teens of the World who are beyond their years,

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for people to be more understanding and less discriminatory. It becomes necessary that adults no longer look down upon the youth around them but rather respect their opinions and treat them as equals so they may live fulfilled lives.

We hold these truths to be self-evident that all humans are created equal, that they are endowed by God certain rights that cannot be discriminated between ages, races, genders, wealth or upbringings. We emphasize the importance of equality as stated by our country’s constitution and our Father’s word. Our Father said: “Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity” (1 Timothy 4:12). This verse, our Father’s word, tells young Christians that we must set an example for adults because of our unique principles and beliefs - because we are young. To adults, this verse it to be respected and taken to heart. Instead of fixating upon age, they should respect the maturity that more of us possess than is noticed. Too often do adults look down upon us and treat us as ignorant, senseless children. Let our maturity, not our age define how we are spoken to. Let our behavior, not stereotypes, define what rules are set for us. Let our ideals and morals define how we are treated, not the generalization that all young people will fall to negative peer pressure and act unethically. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

They have downed us and underplayed us. They have set unfair restrictions based on opinions. They have criticized us for actions no different than the actions of any youth throughout history. They have confined and overruled us by ignoring our words. They have decided that young people cannot make their own sound decisions, for they have claimed that you must be 18 years of age to make your own sound decisions, but we know that age is but a number. They have ignored the maturity and vibrance of youth and overshadowed it with the business and politics of adulthood. They claim that we have no experience and that we don’t know anything about the world, but those of us who know this is not true know more about the world than many of the adults who accuse us of being aloof and unaware.

Nor have we been wanting the petty responsibilities that are associated with being a teen. We have been loaded down with homework, practices, and meetings, which all pile upon each other. We have asked for help and relief, but only get in response being told that that is part of growing up. Growing up is not being so busy that we are exhausted, nor is it being assigned so much that we spend hours working on it, nor is it trying to make enough money to pay for our own gas while trying to juggle the rest of our schedule. Growing up is developing maturity, which we reiterate does not suddenly happen at age 18.

We have appealed to the parent side of adults with the goal of receiving sympathy and help, but instead we are often dismissed. We have appealed to those adults who recently left their teen years with the goal of receiving advice, but instead we are often told we’re just kids and don’t need to worry so much. We worry because we hold these responsibilities in a high place within ourselves and wish to succeed in achieving our goals and attaining respect.

To further solidify our point, we bring to attention more age barriers. To be the President of the United States of America, one must be 35. To drive, one must be 16. To vote, one must be 18. One must also be 18 to own a vehicle or home in their name, buy lottery tickets, and much more. Age cannot determine whether or not someone is ready to do something. Age also should not be an indicator of responsibility; the younger you are, no matter your record, your insurance will be much more expensive than that of someone older. Teens are seen as a liability to their parents’ insurance. This is intolerable.

We, the teens beyond our years, reject the terms: minor, underage, and child. We refuse to respond to these as they are found to be insulting to our level of maturity. They make it sound as if we are below adults, not to be taken seriously. While we do not reject the very real authority of many adults, we reserve the right to challenge self-entitled authority that is existent purely to diminish others and request that similar very real authorities be placed upon us that we may have significant responsibilities. We will pay respect in order to receive respect.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the Teens of the World, do, in the Name, and by the authority of the good People of this World and by the Word of our Father, solemnly publish and declare that these Teens are, and of a right to be, Free and Independent young adults; that they are absolved from all judgement and restrictions placed by those older than us, and that we embrace the responsibilities that come with our true maturity.  That as Free and Independent Young Adults, we shall possess the rights that a mature person of any age is entitled to, including but not limited to: voting, enrolling ourselves in formal studies, attending events such as board meetings, and making important decisions for ourselves, all of course after proving one’s maturity and readiness for these such responsibilities. These imply that within a place of work, education, home or otherwise, teens who have proven themselves worthy are treated and spoken to with the same respect and reverence as those of any greater age.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually and maturely, with full assurance and faith in the decision to do so, pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our Sacred Honor.

This was an assignment in my American History class: write your own delcaration of independence from the entity of your choice. I chose age discrimiation/age barriers. As teens, we are told too often that we can't "legally" do things until we turn the magical 18 years old. This document is a refined rant on how this is unfair. We, the teens beyond our years, are tired of being supressed and held back. Age is but a number.