Improving Social Life in Retirement Homes | Teen Ink

Improving Social Life in Retirement Homes

April 29, 2019
By Meyerhoff77 BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Meyerhoff77 BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Changing elderly care and social interactions 


“It’s been too long since we took the time No-ones to blame, I know time flies so quickly” (Lennon 1980). As John Lennon states in his song “Starting Over”, growing old is a part of life that is unpreventable. As you get to a certain age, assisted living may be the best option for the elderly and their families. Retirement homes have been a place for elderly people to receive assisted living and help in their later years. Unfortunately, the elderly may not be as happy and social as they could be in these homes. Although retirement homes provide nurses and care for the elderly, residents do not have many opportunities to connect with teenagers, participate in social outings outside of their daily routine and activities, or accommodate their talents or hobbies. 
 

Retirement homes provide many healthcare services but do not focus on having gatherings and events where residents can socialize with others. Nurses and staff work rigorously to make sure patients have enough to eat and that they are taking certain medications. One area of life that can be ignore in retirement homes is the social aspect. According to a survey done by UCSF, 43% of elderly adults continue to feel lonely in the care they’re placed under.i This shows that nearly half of the residents in homes have lonely thoughts that can lead to depression or lack of self-value if the feeling continues over a long period of time. Many homes have movie nights or religious gatherings but these activities usually involve little talking and interacting with others. It is important to add more events where elderly residents can sing, dance, talk, and just have fun with others. Retirement homes are sometimes viewed as sad and a medical necessity but by adding entertainment and more social gatherings it is easy to change the narrative and provide resources to make residents happier. 


Having social interactions with teenagers can also improve the well-being of residents in retirement homes. Teenagers of today and adults in the 60s and 70s grew up in completely different eras and social norms. If teenagers and elderly interacted more often, I believe that both groups would benefit. According to the Stanford Report, “When older adults contribute to the well-being of youth, it cultivates a sense of purpose and extends benefits both ways’’.ii The report suggested that teenagers and youth could share technology with the elderly who may have trouble adapting to an internet heavy world. The elderly could also exchange information about the college process, finding jobs, and even taxes with inexperienced youth. Retirement homes rarely have young people so by mixing the two groups both sides are sure to benefit. This problem can be easily fixed by schools having community service opportunities at retirement homes to encourage students to spend time with the elderly. A change in age group interaction will cheer up lonely elderly patients and make them feel like they have significant value. Kids who do not have grandparents can still learn valuable life lessons from adults with experience. Such an easy fix can boost morale in retirement homes and all participating people, young or old have a chance to benefit.

 
Elderly patients do not have resources to pursue hobbies and activities they used to enjoy at a younger age. According to popular retirement home AppleWood Our House, “Getting out of the house, breathing fresh air, and looking at the beautiful scenery can all be beneficial and    entertaining for seniors”. iii Retirement homes have activities and certain hobbies for residents but it may not be specific to each person’s interests or involve them getting to leave the home for a few hours. It is obviously costly to provide such specific services for residents but an additional small fee per patient could really increase an elderly person’s enjoyment and their overall mood and enjoyment level could increase significantly. For example, if a resident loves baseball he can get to see a game once every couple months with a nurse or aid. A resident who loves to paint could meet with an art instructor once in a while. These ideas are small but could significantly increase a patient’s experience at a retirement home. The well-being of residents is most important and making sure their interests and hobbies are accounted for is a major step in the right direction. 


The most important thing for families is that their loved one is being taken care of properly in retirement homes. It is difficult finding a fit for yourself or a loved one because of the large number of homes.  Health care has always been terrific in retirement homes but a few ideas could greatly help the social aspect. A coffee house, which is a night where teenagers and elderly will take turns singing and enjoying refreshments, is an idea that could solve multiple problems. Elderly patients get a chance to have social interactions with people of all ages including teenagers. It is a fun, carefree setting where the elderly can come and go as they please. The event would also allow elderly to share their musical talents through dance or song. This project obviously will not totally solve loneliness in retirement homes but it is an easy start that could become more and more frequent. John Lennon was right when he said growing old is a part of life but there is no reason why life cannot still be fun and enjoyable in the later stages of life. 
 
 
iGandel, C. July 17, 2018. Loneliness is Lethal. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
ii Parker, C. P. (2017, September 06). Bringing old and young together benefits both. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
iiiApplewood our house. (n.d.). 


The author's comments:

I am a junior in high school and very excited to share a topic that is very personal to me.