A New Age of Slacktivism | Teen Ink

A New Age of Slacktivism MAG

By ajjj BRONZE, -, California
ajjj BRONZE, -, California

In recent decades, social media has been hailed as the linchpin of political liberation. Through various platforms, millions of users express their political beliefs and opinions on a wide range of issues, transcending previous boundaries for activism. This “digital activism” has allowed online movements to garner support through the convenient hashtag or retweet, and the online community is contributing far more to the nation’s political climate than ever before. But how far can this social media activism really take us?

Scrolling down my Twitter feed, I notice viral tweets demanding change for oceanic pollution with the hashtag “Save the Turtles” or a drive for Asian American feminism with the slogan #NotYourAsianSidekick. These movements deserve global awareness, but more importantly, they require solutions through genuine engagement. While social media often provides the former, it lacks the latter. In this new age of digital activism, the convenience of the retweet button becomes a substitute for action. People mindlessly join campaign after campaign, ultimately abandoning them as the popularity dwindles. In today’s world, the greatest paradox of online activism is the rise in social consciousness with a decline in social responsibility.

Although political discussions are regular facets of life for social media users, this newfound knowledge does not necessarily result in tangible change. In fact, activists who engage initially in “private” modes of support, such as writing a letter to a representative, are more likely to have a deeper level of engagement than those who initially support a cause over social media. Too often, digital activism simply rewards users with “socially conscious” brownie points while failing to promote involvement. In other words, “slacktivism” works to boost the ego, not the movement. Social media users are not ignorant of this either, as a whopping 71% of people agree that “social media makes people believe they’re making a difference when they really aren’t,” according to a recent study from the Pew Research Center.

A great amount of information is at our fingertips, but our attention to it is fleeting. Users impulsively click “like” on issues they deem significant without taking the time to research the topic. As a result, social movements with genuine intentions are oversimplified and even misconstrued by the sensationalism of media outlets, as shown by the #Kony2012 and #BringBackOurGirls movements. Despite global attention, these campaigns were quickly turned into online fads that failed to implement change.

Digital activism may be an important starting point for awareness, but it is hardly a replacement for personal action. As a society enraptured by social media, we must fundamentally change how we utilize our potentials. It’s time to realize that retweeting support for a cause is only the beginning of a journey for justice, not the end. So, I urge social media activists around the world to engage in activism beyond the security of the cell-phone screen. It’s time to take a stand, literally.

As a high school student, this piece has a lot of personal significance. Social media is an integral part of all our lives and it's given a voice to many communities, including young people, who haven't been able to express their opinion otherwise. That being said, it has its downfalls, and this is definitely one of them. I'm also guilty of "digital activsm" and while it may be somewhat hypocritical for me to write about it, I think it's important to acknowledge that it's a dangerous habit that can be improved with a conscious effort to educate ourselves on topics that we're not familiar with. 

I hope you enjoy reading this piece!