Buy Local, Be Local | Teen Ink

Buy Local, Be Local

May 17, 2009
By Joi Baydek BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Joi Baydek BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Huge grocery store chains, they have everything, the largest selection, numerous departments, and many employees. It’s your one stop shopping place. But what about that small locally owned business, the one with a smaller variety of choices, a smaller staff, and smaller store, why go there, when you have the bigger and better?

In WA, the community works to promote buying local, with a n entire buy local campaign. That doesn’t just mean food; it could be clothing stores, local entertainment, and any business that’s in your community and not a national business. I don’t understand why citizens don’t experience their town, local businesses are what makes the town unique and large businesses just tear that down.

Buying local helps your community’s economy, by supplying jobs to residents of the town. Local business managers mostly hire employees who are well experienced in the field, and take time to get to know customers, as stated in the Sustainable Connections website. Small businesses are also the largest supplier for jobs in the nation. Not only that, they also buy most of their supplies in the community, keeping the money in the area.

Not only is buying local great for the community economy, its great for the eco-system. Importing supplies shorter distances, using less gas is better for the environment. Also, most business owners want there building in a central place, so generally it causes less gas for the customer, creating a better environment.

Have you ever thought about where those mangos came from, how many miles the food has traveled? Local grocery stores supply produce that is found around the area, which means its fresher food. Rather than, the great variety of fruit from around the world, with who knows what on them that makes them survive a long traveled distance, and still look decent to eat.

Though, large businesses aren’t always the culprit, many grocery store chains import produce that farmers grown in the area. Starbucks buys coffee beans from farmers in the area, as there step towards creating a better environment. On the other hand, I noticed that when supporting local businesses, the consumer feels happier about their purchase, rather than buying something from a place where anyone in the nation can buy the exact same item.

Many communities are starting markets and supporting local consuming, Diane Eggert, a leader in the farmer’s market industry, says “I think it’s pretty exciting that people are going back to the idea of buying local, and supporting local economy”. Next time you’re making your grocery list, what about taking a stop at the farmer’s market, or the local grocery store. But don’t stop there, take a look around your community, endure yourself