Government as a Necessary Evil | Teen Ink

Government as a Necessary Evil

By serenapei123 PLATINUM, San Jose, California
serenapei123 PLATINUM, San Jose, California

The purpose of our central government today is to make important decisions to improve the state of the country for the American people. Government is necessary because it establishes order among people, and it also is not an evil because checks and balances prevent tyranny. 

Given the immense diversity in the United States, the government needs to maintain order between many different groups of people. In the past, the country was split into those who opposed slavery and those who were for the institution. As a result, the Missouri Compromise of 1820, the Kansas-Nebraska Act, and the Compromise of 1850 were all passed in efforts to satisfy both parties as equally as possible. In each compromise, anti-slavery folks were forced to accept some conditions that favored pro-slavery citizens in order to come to an agreement. These actions from the government intelligently acknowledged each side of the issue and kept order by proposing a solution that both would be happy with. In a more recent case, the Supreme Court rejected Texas’ lawsuit against President Biden’s victory because it was the only method to maintain peace across the nation. Sure, if they accept the lawsuit and end up ruling in favor of one candidate, citizens who support the candidate will be satisfied. However, supporters of the other side will be even more angered than if they did not rule at all. Therefore, government is a necessity because it prioritizes the order of the country when making important decisions, rather than focusing on the benefits of an individual.

Checks and balances prevents the system from evolving into tyranny. For instance, the federal government is split into three branches: executive, legislative, and judicial. The legislative branch is in charge of making and passing laws, the executive branch is in charge of enforcing them, and the judicial branch solves cases relating to breaking the law. Each of the three groups is responsible for a different aspect of the nation, so no single branch can ever gain significant control over the other. In addition, no single person is able to act without first accessing the opinions of a larger group. Parts of the system such as veto and impeachment offer the President of the United States necessary rights to make decisions, yet at the same time prevents him from holding too much power. This ingenious system of checks and balances holds the country together while allocating limited power to each person or group, proving that government is far better than an evil.

Some argue that government takes away the power of the individual. While this is true, it is simply impractical to allow every single person in the country to have all possible rights. As history shows, each person needs to give up something to gain part of their own desires because it is impossible to completely satisfy different requests at the same time. Citizens in a country have to follow a certain set of regulations to maintain fairness and order. For example, if certain people are allowed all the rights in the world and none of their actions have consequences, it would be unfair for the person who would have to clean up after their mess. Therefore, people need an organized government to make and enforce rules so that all citizens can enjoy as many rights as possible. 

Government is an undeniably good necessity in any situation as it establishes the basic structure of society while allowing enough balance of power. Instead of focusing on inevitable flaws of the system, we should appreciate what they do for the country and its citizens. Furthermore, we can help maintain peace of the country by opposing violent protests, learning to recognize fake news, and avoiding public arguments about party affiliation. Only when we learn to accept government as a necessary part of society will we be able to truly live in harmony with the people around us.