Global Society should take Asian hate crimes as a serious problem - Eric Seo (Hwiseong Seo) | Teen Ink

Global Society should take Asian hate crimes as a serious problem - Eric Seo (Hwiseong Seo)

By Hseo25 BRONZE, Seoul, Other
Hseo25 BRONZE, Seoul, Other

“In a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist. We must be anti-racist..”
- Angela Davis

To change this racist society, we should be anti-racist. That is why so many people are fighting against racism. But still, too many people are not paying attention to Asian racism. Because of COVID, hate crimes targeting Asians are increasing rapidly. Asian racism is way more severe than people think, and hate crimes are the most violent examples of Asian racism. These three points below will explain why global society should take Asian hate crimes seriously.

Since the pandemic, hate crimes targeting Asians are increasing rapidly, and these outbreaks of violence are hurting too many people. According to the reporting forum, Stop AAPI Hate released a national report last week, examining incidents that took place over roughly a year during the coronavirus pandemic. It revealed that the number of incidents reported surged from 3,795 to 6,603 in March of this year alone. In the United States, the FBI warned that it expected a surge in hate crimes against Asian descent at the start of the Covid outbreak.

Hate crimes are increasing, and people are getting harmed, but charges for hate crimes are still rare. In an interview, the Department’s Asian Hate Crimes Task Force said that Asian-Americans are often reluctant to report the crime because of language barriers or worries over having their immigration status questioned. “The process is very daunting,” Mr. Loo said. “You have to go to the police station. You have to talk to detectives. You have to talk to prosecutors.”

Lots of people think racism is the problem just for America, but it isn’t. Hate crimes are also the same. U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said, “the pandemic continues to unleash a tsunami of hate and xenophobia, scapegoating and scaremongering” and urged governments to “act now to strengthen the immunity of our societies against the virus of hate” in May 2020. Also, nearly one year on, communities worldwide say the situation hasn’t improved, with many countries reporting spikes in hate crimes. For many, the pandemic has only amplified longstanding and violent racism toward Asian people.

Some people might say it is overreacting, and those hate crimes are not a real thing. But, hate crimes are the real thing. The attacks are not random, and they are targeting specific types of peoples, such as Asians. Innocent people are getting attack just for the reason that they are Asian. Asian racism and hate crimes are severe problems, and global society needs to be aware of this. Even now, at this moment, victims are in danger, and their daily life is collapsing. Making a voice and taking action will stop this violence.