Child labor in cobalt mines in DRC | Teen Ink

Child labor in cobalt mines in DRC

By Atamuradova-Arina BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
Atamuradova-Arina BRONZE, Nairobi, Other

In a report that was published by Amnesty International, they are claiming that many of the children work up to 12 hours a day. The bags that they carry are between 20-40 kg and they are only paid as little as $1-2 per day for all of their hard work. The victims of child labor in DRC do permanent health-damaging work for a few dollars, so you and many other people would have a phone.

Cobalt mining is dangerous because it causes fatal accidents. According to
The Guardian, many of the families say that the victims either got permanent health issues or fatal accidents happened. They have also mentioned that a boy named John Doe 1 got paralyzed after he fell into a tunnel when working at the mine. After the terrible accident, John is not able to walk for the rest of his life.

It’s terrible how this is happening and global companies like Apple, Samsung,
and Sony are not making sure that their products don’t contain child mined cobalt because those companies have the ability to do that. “...Companies whose global profits total $125 billion cannot credibly claim that they are unable to check where key minerals in their productions come from,” said Mark Dummett, Business & Human Rights Researcher at Amnesty International.

According to UDHR article 24, everyone has a right to rest and leisure. However, this article and many other articles are being violated for child labor victims. According to a report that was written by Amnesty International, some of the children workbetween 10-12 hours during the weekdays and weekends. Those children also went to school. As we can see the majority of the children are working during their resting time, and of course that violates not only article 24. “I would spend 24 hours down in the tunnels. I arrived in the morning and would leave the following morning ... I had to relieve myself down in the tunnels … ” -Paul, a 14-year-old orphan, started mining at the
age of 12.

The rights of child labor victims are being violated on a daily basis. I want to
argue for those children because the issues are clear and people must speak up. This is how you take a stand, you can help by raising awareness about this topic, and together maybe we will create some positive change.

In this piece, you can find out what is currently happening in cobalt mines in DRC. You will also find out how you can help the victims of child labor whose rights are being violated on a daily basis.