Bisexuality and Pansexuality | Teen Ink

Bisexuality and Pansexuality

June 7, 2021
By awoogalex SILVER, Tirana, Other
awoogalex SILVER, Tirana, Other
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
E


  People have been debating what bisexuality is for a long time now. This ultimately led to the argument of bisexuality vs pansexuality. While they are considered very similar, they also have some slight differences. This is the main source of the discourse, as some people believe that the difference is important and that separate terms are needed and others, like me, believe that the use of pansexual as a term to describe sexual orientation is unnecessary and erases a large part of the history of bisexuality

 
  The word bisexual, as a term for an orientation, was first coined in 1892 by Charles Gilbert Chaddock as sexual attraction to both men and women. Since then, however, the definition has evolved, Nowadays, most people will still tell you that bisexual means an attraction to both men and women. However, in the modern-day, bisexuality is more than just someone who likes both men and women. Bisexuality is defined on Bi.org as “a broad and inclusive term that describes physical attraction, romantic attraction, or sexual behavior that is not limited to one sex.” This definition is also used by many people, one of which being Naomi Tucker, who wrote: “I am proud of being able to express my feelings toward a person, regardless of gender, in whatever way I desire” (Naomi Tucker “What’s In a Name?”). 


  The word pansexuality was first coined by Sigmund Freud in 1926, however, he didn’t have an impact on its modern definition. The current definition of pansexual is being “attracted to people of all sorts of gender categories” (Ferguson Sian, Is Being Bisexual the Same Thing as Being Pansexual?, Healthline.com). Along with that, the definition of pansexuality have a tendency of separating other gender identities and in other occasions infantilize and fetishize those gender identities. An example of this is “pansexual people often express that they may be attracted to genderqueer people, gender-nonconforming individuals, and trans people as well as cisgender men and women” It’s an ongoing issue in transgender comminutes that they aren’t seen as “real” men/women. The fact that pansexuality has a history of separating trans people from cis men and women, is not good as it supports the presumption that they aren’t “real” men/women. Marie Claire in “what does it mean to be pansexual” also says “you’re attracted to people, regardless of whether they’re a man, a woman, gender-expansive or transgender” (Truman, Isabelle. “What Is Pansexual? The Truth About Pansexuality.” MarieClaire.com). This again also treats being transgender, as a third gender of sorts, which it isn’t. 


  With all of these definitions, the similarity becomes very apparent. Some people will also say that being pansexual means being attracted to people regardless of gender. However, that is still bisexual, as E. Grace Noonan said: “I’m bi. That simply means I can be attracted to a person without consideration of their gender” (Noonan, E. Grace. “Bi Women: the Newsletter of the Boston Bisexual Women's Network.” Harvard.edu). This shows that even this definition of pansexual is a repackaged definition of bi. Furthermore, this again insinuates that bisexual people only like two genders, which, as previously stated, is not true.  


  Many people will say that ¨bisexuality is rooted in a binary system of gender identities" and that “pansexuality encompasses attraction (either sexual, romantic, physical, and or spiritual) towards members of all gender identities and expressions and is not rooted in the binary" (Thomas, Sophie Saint “What's the Difference Between Pansexuality and Bisexuality?” Cosmopolitan.com). This, however, isn’t the case. “Bisexuality works to subvert the gender system and everything it upholds because it is not based on gender… Bisexuality subverts gender” (Weise, Beth Reba. “Bi Women: the Newsletter of the Boston Bisexual Women's Network.” Harvard.edu). 


  When you look at these definitions side to side you will see that they all basically say the same thing. So why have two words for the same thing? The short answer to that is it's because of biphobia. Bisexuals in media are often portrayed as sl*tty, promiscuous, and cheating. Along with that it is often seen as a trend, a phase or something gay people identify as before they are fully out of the closet. This has helped create a negative connotation with identifying as bisexual. Therefore, many people use pansexual to describe their sexuality. This is because identifying as pansexual is often considered “safer”. It's the same as a gay man calling himself straight because they don’t like the word gay. In that context though, the issue is much more apparent because there is no other word for a gay man.  


  With all of these similarities, there is no real reason for there to be two words for bisexual. Especially when one of them has a history of erasure, homophobia and transphobia.  

                                                         Works cited  


Ferguson, Sian. “What's the Difference Between Being Bisexual and Pansexual?” Healthline,       Healthline Media, 17 Sept. 2019, www.healthline.com/health/bisexual-vs-pansexual#key-difference. 


Noonan, E. Grace. “Bi Women :the Newsletter of the Boston Bisexual Women's   Network.” Harvard Mirador Viewer, 1983, nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:27842612?n=56. 


  Thomas, Sophie Saint. “What's the Difference Between Pansexuality and Bisexuality?” Cosmopolitan, Cosmopolitan, 18 Dec. 2020, www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a20776748/pansexual-vs-bisexual-differences/. 


Truman, Isabelle. “What Is Pansexual? The Truth About Pansexuality.” Marie Claire, 12 Mar.    2019, www.marieclaire.com.au/what-is-pansexual. 


Tucker, Naomi. “What's In a Name?” Bi Any Other Name: Bisexual People Speak Out, by   Loraine Hutchins and Lani Kaahumanu, Riverdale Avenue Books, 2015. 

  
Weise, Beth Reba. “Bi Women :the Newsletter of the Boston Bisexual Women's   Network.” Harvard Mirador Viewer, 1990, nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:27831287?n=27. 

“What Is Bisexuality?” Bi.org, bi.org/en/101/bisexuality


The author's comments:

A Position Essay