Effects of Social Media on Today’s Youth | Teen Ink

Effects of Social Media on Today’s Youth

November 3, 2021
By Anonymous

Social Media something that we all use we are all affected by. Something that every teen uses to get an inside look at people’s lives around them. High Schoolers alike are affected by this still and at a more Jaring rate growing up with these platforms and being exposed to them at younger ages. This can cause people to have negative side effects about body standards and what they look like compared to others. This has caused many teens alike to feel down about how they look or feel like they don’t look good enough. But meanwhile, face tuners and photoshop make you look so much different than you do in real life. This leads teens to chase unrealistic body images and not realize that the people who they look up to are using face tuners to make themself look unreal because they don’t have faith in their own bodies. 

While you think your problems are so big you have such an awful body the body you’re chasing isn’t real its the right lighting tons of make-up a pump and a hell of a lot of effects on how one looks. There that’s normal in Snapchat Visco exc. It’s not real you can’t have a body like that it cost thousands and thousands of dollars in plastic surgery to look like most celebrities do. The people that you look up to have the same issues inside as you do. If they didn’t they would have never used face turners in the first place. Social media and photoshop have caused so much hardships for teens and adults alike. Social media is a great thing if used right but if you only focus on what others look like you create a body dysmorphia for yourself by chasing unrealistic standards.  

Not let alone that we can’t put down our phones nowadays. My self included my teacher could tell you that I can’t take my hands off of it. But our phones have created a real network that lets us self isolate ourselves behind a screen it doesn’t only create a disconnect with society. But it creates a disconnect with people creates a way that we can hide our emotions. It creates a way that we can show only what we want to create. It makes people suppress their insecurities and not open up to anyone about them. This isolation makes it so that people don’t see the real you who you are and it stops interpersonal connections from creating. 

Covid has taught me that my phone isn’t a blessing but something that allows us to hide and to progress we don’t have to fight the grips of capitalist society where we all work for the man. But also the “Blessing of Technology” that drags us back to it and back to it like an addiction. It allows people to show only what they want to and not all the bad in our lives and has blocked all of us from doing our best and using the internet as a resource and not a place to go for hours and hours to cure the teenage boredom that we all experiencemany from time to time we now get to hid behind our phones and let ourselves become enslaved to that of which is the internet.