A Call to Action: Modernize America’s Voting Practices | Teen Ink

A Call to Action: Modernize America’s Voting Practices

April 11, 2022
By Anonymous

In the United States of America, it is time to modernize the government’s voting practices. Citizens have struggled with outdated methods for multiple voting cycles, and we need to take action. As American teenagers, we are on the precipice of becoming the stewards of this fundamental democratic process. So, it is up to us to help create and implement new voting methods. By modernizing the United States’ voting practices, voter turnout will increase across all demographics, and it will ensure that the election system values every ballot.
 
The current presidential election process was outlined during the Constitutional Convention in 1789. These original, vague procedures for national elections, written 233 years ago, were designed to satisfy those at the top: wealthy, property-owning individuals. As America has become increasingly diverse, reflected in the recently published 2020 Census data, those in power have maintained this outdated system. For example, polling place locations and locally determined registration processes have been systematically constructed to discourage people, especially minority groups, from voting. Such systematic discouragement has, sadly, been effective. As a result, this voting epidemic has led citizens across all 50 states to believe their voices do not matter in national elections and forego their rights to vote.[i] No state is immune to this problem. Even Minnesota, one of the states with the highest voter turnout in the nation, suffers from this voting epidemic.
 
To create a more just voting system in America, we should look to its democratic allies, Canada and Australia, for best practices. In the forty years before the pandemic (1980 – 2019), Canada’s national eligible voter turnout was 11% higher than that of the United States; 67% vs. 56%, respectively.[ii]
 
One driver for this difference is that Canadians have the option to vote by mail during all elections, regardless of an emergency or special accommodation. This provision gives Canadians an accommodating alternative voting method where they do not need to clear hurdles like inconvenient polling place locations and locally determined registration processes.
 
A second contributor to Canada’s higher voter turnout is the country’s policy requiring paid time off to vote. This practice enables Canadians to spend the necessary time standing in long lines at polling locations without fearing consequences at their work. These best practices provide Canadians with easy access to voting.[iii]
 
Australia is another country that has taken great strides toward a strong democracy. With a staggering approval rating and high voter turnout (consistently over 90%), Australia is considered one of the most progressive countries regarding the modernization of government practices. The Australian voting system has undergone two modifications since their first “Past the Post” system used for parliamentary elections began in 1843 — a stark contrast to the American national system, which has not changed since its inception.[iv]
 
Australia has successfully implemented two adaptations for preferential voting (known as rank choice voting in the United States). One unique element of their preferential voting adaptation is the ability to vote for the preferred candidate without regard to the party. This practice favors all parties without limiting the influence of major parties. As a result, there are three main parties represented in Australia’s House of Representatives — the Australian Labor Party, the Liberal Party of Australia, and the Nationals — instead of the two-party system in the United States. Of further interest is Australia's requirement that all citizens vote and pay a $55 voting fine if a voter does not have a “valid reason” for not voting.[v]
 
The United States should follow the best practices of Canada and Australia to modernize its outdated national election processes. More specifically, to increase voter turnout and ensure the election system values every ballot, especially those cast for third-party candidates, the following solutions should be enacted: the expansion of mail-in voting options and the implementation of nationwide rank choice voting.
 
One of these solutions would not fix everything, so a two-tiered approach is recommended. First, the United States’ voting processes should be updated by making mail-in voting accessible nationwide to all eligible voters. This benefits the United States because it spurs voter participation, driving up involvement in its electoral process. Another positive outcome is that this change weeds out geographical voting disparities based on local voting laws. Even though creating a secure mail-in ballot system will be difficult, the government should rise to the challenge. A government based upon the principle that it is formed by the people and for the people must encourage voter turnout in America’s special democracy rather than putting up obstacles.

Second, America’s voting practices should be modernized to offer a rank choice voting system. Doing so would shift the focus towards the candidate’s positions on issues and away from the positions of America’s two-party system, opening the way for a viable third-party option. Such a change would also improve the mindset of the American voter. As the electoral system in America stands now, many (especially those in heavily partisan areas) believe their vote does not count because it is “thrown out” in favor of the majority.[vi]
 
Rank choice voting removes that oppressive barrier. In this process, if any candidate receives more than 50% of the votes, they win outright. If this does not happen, this is where rank choice voting truly comes into play; the candidate that received the least number of votes is eliminated, and all voters who listed that candidate as their first choice have their votes redistributed to their second choice. This process continues until a winner is determined. This modernization of the voting process would greatly benefit the American voter. Casting a ballot without being concerned their vote may be worthless will encourage more people to go to the ballot box.
 
In the United States of America, it is time to modernize the U.S. government’s voting practices. Mail-in ballots and rank choice voting will rejuvenate the American democratic spirit. Indeed, some states are making an effort: in the general election, Alaska will become the second state after Maine to offer ranked-choice voting this coming November. And the Freedom to Vote Act currently being debated in Congress would allow voting by mail. But, we have more work to do: American teenagers, the future stewards of the country, it is time for us to take action. Let’s work with our government representatives to help modernize the voting processes and revive democracy in the United States.
 

 

ENDNOTES


[i] Davis Jr., Elliott. “U.S. Election Integrity Compares Poorly to Other Democracies.” U.S. News & World Report. October 7, 2020. Accessed April 4, 2022. usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2020-10-07/us-elections-compare-poorly-to-other-democracies-research-shows.

 
[ii] CBC News. “Canadian Election Drew nearly 66% of Registered Voters.” October 22, 2019. Accessed April 4, 2022. cbc.ca/news/canada/voter-turnout-2019-1.5330207. United States Elections Project. “National Voter Turnout Rates.” Accessed April 4, 2022. electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/voter-turnout-data.

 
[iii] Settlement.org. “A Guide to Voting in the Canadian Federal Election.” Accessed April 4, 2022. settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/canadian-government/voting/a-guide-to-voting-in-the-canadian-federal-election/.

 
[iv] Bennett, Scott and Rob Lundie. “Australian Electoral Systems.” Parliament of Australia. Research Paper no. 5, 2007-08. August 21, 2007. Accessed April 4, 2022. aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/RP0708/08rp05#preferential.

 
[v] Ibid.

 
[vi] PBS News Hour. “How Ranked-Choice Voting Could Make Voters More Open to Third-Party Candidates.” September 2, 2016. Accessed April 4, 2022. pbs.org/newshour/politics/instant-runoffs-better-way-vote.


The author's comments:

My enthusiasm for government began in sixth grade when I volunteered on my first state-wide political campaign, learning the ropes by going door-to-door to get out the vote. Since then, I have volunteered for several campaigns, including one at a U.S. presidential candidate’s headquarters and, most recently, as the Campaign Treasurer and Policy Advisor for a local campaign. To gain a different perspective of the political process, I served as an Election Judge for early and election-day voting. Recently I was elected to serve as a Delegate, responsible for endorsing state and federal candidates at upcoming conventions. These varied political experiences have contributed to my position that it is time to modernize our country's voting practices to better support democracy.