When Is The Right Time To Honor Our Veterans? | Teen Ink

When Is The Right Time To Honor Our Veterans?

By Brooke_Lynn SILVER, Flanagan, Illinois
Brooke_Lynn SILVER, Flanagan, Illinois

1.) "live the life you love, love the life you live" Bob Marley

2.) "get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please" Mark Twain

3.) "i never try to fit in, i was born to stand out" Unknown

When is the right time to honor our veterans? Well, if you ask me, the right time, is all the time. Now there are special days where it is more important than others to honor are vets, but you catch my drift, right? I think we should set aside a couple of minutes everyday to do just that. Remember when, during your school’s morning announcements, there would be a moment of silence? I think we should start that up again so that all of the students can think about what our veterans have done for us.

I remember this one story that our teacher read to us about a teacher who took out all of the desks in her classroom, and had her students tell her how they had earned the right to sit at their desks. She asked every one of her classes. Nobody got the answer right. Then at the end of the day, she had twenty-three veterans bring in the twenty-three desks that belonged in the classroom. Only then could her students begin to realize what was happening. She told them that, “No, you did not earn the right to sit at your desk. These people did for you. These people fought, just so you could earn the right to have an education.” That story really got my attention. So much of the time, we don’t even think about anything except what we’re doing at that very moment. We take so many things for granted, and don’t even stop to wonder why it’s there, or what somebody had to go through just to be able to put it there in front of you, myself included.

But this is why we should honor our veterans more. So we know why we can do the things we do on a daily basis. So we know what they went through so we could have our free way of life. So let us recap. We should honor our veterans everyday. Other days where it’s more important are (of course) Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, and Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. But we should always, always remember our veterans not just because we have to, but because we want to. Even if it’s not a holiday.