The Solution That Solves Nothing | Teen Ink

The Solution That Solves Nothing

By have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey
have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.

Seconds pile into minutes; minutes into hours, and hours? They form days; days full of carelessly avoiding everything that screams for attention, the issues that need to be spoken of, before it’s too late. Cells construct tissues; each tissue part of an organ. Eventually you have an organ system, circulating blood, taking in air; all of these make a human, a human who causes my heart to beat quicker, more vigorously and tears to pour down my face in five words. Some things don’t add up. The sentence had the words, each word with a meaning, and it formed a complete sentence, subject and predicate; so why didn’t those words make sense in my mind as they entered my expectant ear? “He tried to hang himself.”

In life, there are so many opportunities, so many chances to help other people. So why exactly do we, as fellow human beings, overlook obvious signs of depression, writing them off as a ‘phase’? Suicides are 100% preventable, if only we went beyond ourselves for once and reached out.

Why does it have to get to the point where everything is so hopeless that someone feels it would be better to just die? There are so many things in this world that have a solution, maybe not a black and white answer; or even one that we fully understand, but nothing lasts forever. Chances are, you won’t have the same problems you have now when you are 60 years old; so why do we continue to let our peers kill themselves in vain? If only we could provide them with the support and let them know it is okay and there is help for them, maybe there wouldn’t have 32,637 deaths due to suicide in 2005.

“Please keep it a secret,” he had whispered in my ear a week prior, just as she whispered five words different words in my ear right now.
Why? Why would you keep it a secret? If you ever find yourself in a situation in which someone reveals to you they are thinking of suicide, don’t keep it a secret. It’s hard, so hard, to tell someone. ‘Maybe they won’t do it’ you think. But there is a 50% chance they will, they think about it, examining the idea in their mind, turning it over and over again; so why play a game of chance with their life? Suicide is not a game. It will never be funny and it will never come without regrets. So, if you have the chance, muster the courage to speak up to a trusted adult. The consequences will not be as negative as they could be.

I love you. Honestly, I love every single person who ever contemplated, or committed suicide, if only because they felt like no one loved them. Depression is like being a dark hole in the ground, hardly any happiness graces the little hole, and no one can see every part of the little hole because it is so dark. Someone who is suicidal feels like nothing good happens to them and even if maybe their life catches a glimpse of light, it’s outweighed by the darkness; they feel as though they are misunderstood, like no one understands what they are going through, like no one cares what they are going through; like they are trapped in a horrible situation. But, there are 32,636 other people who feel the same way. If you are suicidal, you are not alone, there is help, and people do care!

A suicide can shatter a community and can bring tears to everyone’s eyes, whether they knew the person or not. But, more importantly is what a suicide always does. No matter what the situation, no matter who the person, no matter what the reason; a suicide does destroy every potential for a good future. Once you are gone, there is no turning back, there is no eraser, white out, or way to turn back time. Once you have pulled the trigger, taken the pills, cut the skin, or jumped with the noose; you’ve left behind nothing but tears, regrets, and people who have loved you all along, full of heartache and more likely to come across the very same fate.

A friend of mine attempted suicide and I just had to write this basically to get my feelings out on the subject. Suicide is such a scary and confusing thing. If you are ever considering, please find help. You will always have the option to kill yourself, but the important thing is you have the option to save yourself as well.

WhiteRabbit BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Why do we fall sir? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." -Batman Begins

You know most people would've turned and ran the second they realized that this article was about suicide prevention, because most people treat life more as a joke than a journey, they say and do things and have no recolition of the consequences of their actions. I hate people like that because it's not a joke, it's called reality nothing is perfect for everyone, there's so many things wrong with this world that we cannot even count it but people like you and I know how to speak out about it in our writing because we know that if we dont do something about it no one else will and I totally respect that. A year ago my mom was diagnosed with Kidney Failure and recently got a transplant from my loving aunt. That was my inspiration for  the Fear in Dreams I would describe how I feel to my friends about what I went through during that time and what I am still going through but they could never truly understand. I also understand they have their own problems too but it's just nice to express myself in a way that not only impacts me and how I feel, but hopefully impacts other people to who read it. You did that here in this story it almost brought me to tears but luckily I didn't because my mom was sitting next to me and I didn't want her to see me cry but this story is truly a work of art all it's own and I completely applaud you and I understand where your coming from. This story is one and a million and your  that one honestly this one is one of my favorites because each word is the truth and you dont see that much any more, thank you for seeing the world through true eyes.