What If | Teen Ink

What If

July 26, 2012
BalladOfMonaLisa PLATINUM, Na, Other
24 articles 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love and to be loved; to hurt and to be hurt. These are the ideals that make up humanity. ~Me (Lisa)


What if? What if the world was made of peace and kindness, what if there was no hatred? What if we had the "perfect economy"? What if there was no such thing as violence? While this all sounds extremely appealing, just think about it. If this was the case, then nothing would be the same as it is today. Our lives have been shaped around this mold of a world, and we have adapted with it. As I have heard many times, "Necessity breeds solution." While we are confronted daily with new trials, we find a way to fix it or tolerate it. If everything was perfect and dandy, we wouldn't be able to handle conflict, for where there is man, there also will be evil. No matter how perfect we imagine this alternate world to be, evil will always take root and begin to spread, as it has done now. For example, our nation needs guidance; we elect a president. People that are poor and can't get a job are aided by our government until they can get back on their feet. And while I know that people often take advantage of this, it is also true that many others have sincerely needed it, and it may have saved their lives. The world may be a cruel and unjust place, but we can and will adapt to fit it, for better of for worse, and we will always pull through in the end. Even though we are at war, we would still be capable of making a peace treaty and binding together at the last minute. This is the simple brilliance of mankind. While human nature is often selfish and uncaring, we have seen many extreme acts of kindness in the past, present, and we foresee many more in the future. People may argue that it is unfair, a whole nation is evil, or even a single person, but a person or even a nation can change with unity. So next time you think, "What if the world was perfect?" Think instead, "How can I change today's world for the better?"


The author's comments:
I am a very opinionated person, and this is an issue that has been bothering me for a while. People always complain about how unfair life is, this, that, and a whole bunch of other useless things instead of just getting the job done.