Marriage is Marriage: Regardless of Gender | Teen Ink

Marriage is Marriage: Regardless of Gender

March 28, 2013
By AngelaMB PLATINUM, New York, New York
AngelaMB PLATINUM, New York, New York
27 articles 14 photos 4 comments

Britney Spears had a 55 hour marriage, Kim Kardashian’s wedding cost 10 million dollars and lasted 72 days, and Larry King has had eight divorces. Around half of traditional marriages end in divorce. Yet somehow it is same-sex marriage that some people believe will destroy the “sanctity” of marriage. I couldn’t disagree more.

Most of these arguments are put forth by churches, some with a narrow interpretation of the Bible.

All religions are allowed to interpret the Bible how they see fit. If one church doesn’t want to perform marriage for same-sex couples so be it. No one is forcing them. However, the United States is built on religious freedom. From the first settlers to today, Americans have prided themselves in providing religious freedom. There is no state religion; all religions are equal in the eyes of the government. Because of this there is a separation of church and state. No one religion can decide the laws for the country.

There are those who argue that civil unions provide the same equality as marriage. Think about why any couple wants to marry. Marriage provides security, commitment, and the ability to form a life together. Marriage is not about just producing kids. If that were the case older couples and infertile couples wouldn’t be able to marry either.

Opposing same-sex marriage is prejudice. As all prejudices do, it stems from ignorance. I know many same-sex couples who are happily married and are no different from the rest of us. Some of them are also raising healthy, well-adjusted children.

Marriage has evolved over the years and this is another adaption that needs to occur. Forty years ago people were protesting racial mixing. In the past women have been the property of men. These ideas seem ludicrous to most of us today. I predict that, in time, the fuss over same-sex marriages will seem silly to most of us also.

Above all, marriage equality is a civil rights issue, and perhaps it should not even be our right to vote on it. Would it seem fair to revote on whether African Americans should have the right to vote, or women? No, just because a group is in a minority status their rights should not be put in jeopardy by the whims of the majority.

Finally, if you are still opposed to same-sex marriage that’s fine. After all it is your choice whether to get married to someone of the same sex as you or not. It isn’t, however, a right to deprive others as our forebears said of, “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”