Just keep smiling | Teen Ink

Just keep smiling

By BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other

Sometimes, to escape the harsh spiky thoughts of the day, I burrow into a safe heaven of my imagination, or the people and friends that I have made in books take my hand and lead me on an adventure of the mind. To put it quite simply, I run away and hide in that place until reality yanks me out by the very hairs on my head, to the real world and the dangers and hazards that it brings, the same world that leaves me with scars and blemishes and rough, bumpy memories that scrape the love from my heart and feelings from my bones.
The human mind is a complexed system from all aspects - the anatomical aspect and the human aspect. It’s a secret for those who wish it to be and an open book for others. No one can ever truly understand it. No one can ever truly know the ins and outs of its system, as everyone’s is different and unique. But what if this wasn’t the case? What if someone could get into your head and under your skin?
I am becoming less and less open, truthful and honest to my friends and family. My inner most thoughts are still mine and even the thought of really opening up scares me.
I have a hot yearning inside of me, that wants to open up, that wants to burst from my caged heart and spread the words on my tongue, itching to be released. But whenever I feel this burning, instead of turning to someone who can help me, I turn to this my diary. I pour my thoughts and feelings into here, and bring this open page to life with them. But it’s not the same, as I get nothing back. I just want to tell someone I’m unhappy and why, but if I can’t do it properly into here, what’s the point of trying? I guess I am just worried that letting go of the last strand of my sanity that I have, will make me also loose my mind and everyone will see the true me.
One day, I will let this girl free. I will send her to her friends and explain how scarred I feel, to my family the weight on my shoulders. But not now, not yet.
Not in one million years. But soon.
For now, just keep smiling.

BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
Thank you, that's very kind! It's weird to think that I wrote this almost 3 years ago, just randomly logged back on today

joshlynallen BRONZE, Addis, Louisiana
I find this story inspiring and encouraging. It relates to most teens including myself about how there’s so much more personality to show, but somehow our personalities can’t find an exit. "I run away and hide in that place until reality yanks me out by the very hairs on my head” I love this line because it’s so literal without being literal.

DarfieldDudette BRONZE, Barriere B.C., Other

"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison." -John Lubbock

Beautiful, contemporary piece that reflects alot of what I think most teenagers go through at one point or another. I really liked it. In terms of Constructive Critisism, I'd really just say that there are a few spelling and grammer errors. Other than that, I love it :)

BlackbeltJames GOLD, Reading, Other

Isaac Asimov - "Intelligence is an accident of evolution, and not necessarily an advantage.”

This is a very natural piece, it describes you as a person, as well as how your feeling. You explain it well and release that hidden aspect of yourself into the reader. It brings out empahty in people without you asking for sympathy.
This is also motivational and inspirational for people who are going through something similar; as these are the first steps to really being able to let go and become more open.

BookNerd35 GOLD, Herod, Illinois

There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say, 'watch me.' -unknown

Good Job!!

Cutey-Beauty SILVER, Ulaanbaator, Other

Soli Deo Gloria.

Nice! Exactly how I used to feel when I was younger. Books were my best friends. A bit awkard though in the transitions-but I think you have the skills to smoothen those out. Also, if you could explore the ideas and concepts more, that would make this GREAT, GREAT piece into something AMAZING. It is very thought inspiring already. Thank you so much for writing this :)

E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
I thought that this was an excellent piece, and the ideas were really relateable.

Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

This is really good. I like it, and I also agree entirely with the whole theme. It reminds me of myself, and my own thoughts. Good job!

BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
Thanks I'll keep that in mind!

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

"Believe in the ideal, not the idol." - Serra

I'm probably not qualified to give advice in this category of writing, but I'll try. You have some run-on sentences, and your thoughts in general seem a little disorganized in this piece. There are a few places where the word choice seems awkward; it's like you're trying to make some concepts much more complex than they should be. Also, try to work on your transitions; there are some weird jumps from one idea to the next. I'm not good with emotional/sentimental pieces, so I'll refrain from stating my opinion on the content.   That's all for me. Good luck on your writing.