Technology Takeover | Teen Ink

Technology Takeover

Living in the 21st century, it is easy to say technology is a part of our everyday lives. We use it to send pictures, read, get in touch with friends and family and etc. All of that is reasonable, but do we really need to snap chat, instagram, or even facebook our whole lives away? These social networking sites are often taken advantage of.

I rarely go on Facebook and the longer I refrain from checking it, the more productive and happy I am. Sites like Facebook suck you in when in the first place you insist on just checking it. Pretty soon checking turns into hours wasted on a computer or phone, invested in someone else’s life. Maybe that’s what bothers me the most. The amounts of time people spend contemplating and worrying about other people’s lives. That wasted time, could be spent doing something useful, making your life better.

Half the stuff that people post on Facebook is untrue anyways. Facebook is basically a way to tell your so-called “friends” how much better your life is than theirs. An article I read made a great point when it said, “Because community—the rich kind, the transforming kind, the valuable and difficult kind—doesn’t happen in partial truths and well-edited photo collections on Instagram. Community happens when we hear each other’s actual voices, when we enter one another’s actual homes, with actual messes, around actual tables telling stories that ramble on beyond 140 brief characters.” Whatever happened to getting together and just hanging out with someone and catching up on old times? Or even calling and talking to someone you haven’t talked to in forever? Actually hearing their voice. I’m not saying you should write a handwritten letter, and drop technology completely. Of course there are times when technology and social networking are appropriate, but I’m just pointing out that it is often used for comparing rather than connecting.