Stories of injustice | Teen Ink

Stories of injustice

By Jackie Franco BRONZE, Bronx, New York
Jackie Franco BRONZE, Bronx, New York

In 2000, my client, Robert Wilcoxson, was convicted of 2nd degree murder in the state of North Carolina, and found guilty. However, new evidence shows that they are actually innocent of the crimes that they have been found guilty of. To begin, Wilcoxson served 9 years in jail. Additionally, the police investigated 5 other men. Finally, Wilcoxson submitted a claim of innocence.

On Monday September 8th, 2000, Walter Bowman, his son Shaun Bowman, his girlfriend Wanda Holloway, a family friend, and Tony Gibson were watching football in the Bowman residence in Fairview, North Carolina. A few hours later, four armed men broke into the home wearing gloves and bandanas.

One reason why the prosecution’s evidence is misleading is due to the eyewitness misidentification. The deputies wrongly accused him of committing the crime because the description of the criminal apparently matched Wilcoxson’s features. The description of the criminal is not accurate enough, which could lead to putting the wrong person in jail. He was also “wrongly confessed” because he did not admit to the crime that he did not do.

Additional tips led the police to discover 5 other men; Aaron Brewton, Teddy Isbell, Kenneth Kagonyera, Damian Mills, and Larry Williams, according to the innocenceproject.org. Those men are the supposed suspects that were taken in for interrogation. Charges were dropped against Aaron Brewton.

My client is innocent because there was not any proof that he committed the crime. In November 2010, Wilcoxson submitted a claim of innocence after being interviewed on the investigation. The commission uncovered the evidence of the confessions and the DNA matches and the evidence of a security videotape from a store near the Bowman residence. The length of the security tape was only 3 minutes long, although it might have been times where the criminals faces might have been clearly visible.

My client, Robert Wilcoxson, did not commit this crime. He served 9 years in jail for being accused of a crime that he did not commit. He should not be punished for this because he has family, friends, and possibly kids. Others may say that Wilcoxson should be placed in jail because if the description of the criminal matched him, then he obviously committed the crime. My client Wilcoxson did not commit this crime, because the DNA match for the gloves and bandanas came in negative. Spending 9 years in jail for a crime that he did not commit is injustice and a waste of years. Although, my client was released from jail on September 22, 2001.

---------