Why Social Media is Negative in Society | Teen Ink

Why Social Media is Negative in Society

One of the most popular forms of communication in today’s society, social networking, creates a new way to connect with the world. It allows the user to quickly find anyone or anything of interest and instantly start a connection, whether the other user knows it or not. It also creates a new way of transmitting information quickly and easily, all with the click of a button. Social networks provide an individual the ability to create any image one wishes to associate oneself with, but the ability to do this also allows the user to say or do anything one wishes, often times becoming more hurtful than helpful to the user. That being said, why does social media typically create a negative image in society?

The ability to make personal information visible on one’s profile allows others to quickly know the user without even having a conversation. Many people believe that this helps others connect quickly and easily with those they may not know, but broadcasting one’s personal information on a social profile allows others the ability to take that information and use it against the user (Ellison, Lampe, Steinfield, 2009, para. 4). Many marketing agents use this information to send unwanted messages and emails to a user (Ellison, Lampe, Steinfield, 2009, para. 5). Others can also use this information for stalking, bullying, and identity theft, possibilities that users may not consider before posting their personal information online. Social networks make this challenging to remember, because they often ask for this information, such as one’s birthdate, email address, and home address. This information originally became public so that users may use it for connection purposes, however, many users across the Internet may take this information for fraudulent purposes, possibly resulting in identity theft.

Social networks help to break down the barriers of long distance communication by allowing others to connect quickly and easily over a singular platform. Many believe that using these platforms helps to continue developing relationships, and many consider these networks to help with productivity (Siers-Poisson, 2013 para. 7). Unfortunately, social networks have the ability to draw the user in quickly and easily, creating the possibility of multiple wasted hours a day. In fact, in July 2012, Americans spent 121.1 billion minutes on social networks (“Social Networking”, 2014). Productivity can only grow so high on social networks, and billions of minutes on social media proves much more wasteful than helpful for one’s life. Three in four people believe that social networks limit productivity, but there does not exist a way to measure whether this is true or not (“MySammy,” 2012 para. 4). Many companies believe that banning social media use in the work place eliminates this problem. But according to a recent survey, over half of the world’s college students say they would not accept a job offer at one of these work places (“Social Networking ProCon,” 2012, para. 13). Social networks have become so important to society that the inability to use them in the work place makes potential employees choose jobs that allow social media usage during the workday. This shows that social network use has become more important to many users than real life opportunities such as new jobs.

The user creates many of the dangers associated with social media. Often times people fail to realize what they allow their profile to display, or they forget that anyone can view what they say. Many times the user will later come to the realization that what they have said is wrong and will delete it, believing it to be gone forever. But since March of 2006, the Library of Congress has been archiving all public tweets (“Social Networking,” 2014, para. 11). Once something enters the Internet it never escapes. Another factor to consider in social networking becomes the perception of others of one’s profile. One of the most popular uses of social networks is by companies hiring potential clients. After employers have read a potential candidate’s resume and application, they often times look up the candidate on multiple social networking platforms (Pernisco, N., 2010, para. 6). Many times applicants have turned in a stellar resume and application, but what they allow themselves to say and do on social media drastically affects how the employer views them, often times in a negative way. Social networks originally began with the idea of helping others connect quickly and easily, but many users fail to realize that the ability to say and do anything on social media should not come lightly.

Another reason that social networks create so much negativity in society is that many feel the pressure to portray the best possible image of themselves on their networks (E. Silva, personal communication, February 18, 2014). Over time, people have started not only worrying about how they look when they walk out the door, but also about how they look on their social profiles, which to some people seems much more important than their physical appearance. The need to look perfect to society creates an unhealthy desire to feel accepted and to fit in, and many believe this can only happen by making their social profile look carefree and perfect. Evidence shows this belief may lead to depression and anxiety, all as a result of wanting to fit in with everyone else on social media. Social networks have the ability to create a desire to fit in with others followed by the user, often times creating unnecessary peer pressure. This shows another reason why personal judgment about whom the user allows himself to follow may become a problem. If the user thinks highly of others on one’s social media feed who present a negative influence, their thoughts and actions might influence those of the user, creating problems on a much larger scale than peer pressure did before social media (E. Silva, personal communication, February 18, 2014). These unnecessary difficulties and pressures make social networks a much more cynical place.

Social networks were created to help connect others all across the globe. They provide quick and easy access to anyone within the network, allowing others to know the simplest of news with just a few clicks. But with dangers such as identity theft, bullying, a lack in productivity, and negative perceptions by others, social networks can tear the user down just as quickly as they can build the user up. Despite the positive possibilities of social networks, they often create a much more negative aspect in our society.