Fight For Your Right | Teen Ink

Fight For Your Right

May 21, 2014
By Sydney Powell BRONZE, Austin, Texas
Sydney Powell BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My mom always told me you cant help who you fall in love with; a universal truth. I grew up in a very conservative, small Texas town. My family also upholds conservative views, but my mother put their beliefs aside and continuously repeated this phrase, “Keep an open mind, an open heart, and be kind. You will have all the friends you need.” So far, I have found the saying to be very truthful.

This brings me to discuss equality for the large LGBT community in our country. My mother came out to me about four years ago. She said that she thought I would be upset when she told me, which was a little insulting. There was no reason for me to be upset! Since that day I have been an even stronger supporter of LGBT rights in America. The main issue gays face in our society today is that we treat them as if being gay is not normal and their right to marry is extremely limited in our country.

Only 18 states allow gay marriage, which include: California, Connecticut ,Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, Washington DC. But before the marriage act passed, in certain states it was only named a civil union, which gave gays the right to have the legally recognized union similar to marriage, but not having all the same rights as a legal marriage. Heterosexual couples petitioned to have civil union; they felt as if they were being singled out, it was cheaper to get divorced if you were united in a civil union. For many years straight couples and many American citizens have fought against gays attaining the right to marry because of the supposed ‘moral effects’ it will have on society. This is absurd to believe that two people that love each other getting married could send the country into turmoil.

Many states still have strict regulations and bans against gay rights. It should not be a crime for wanting to share a sacred bond with the person that makes you happiest. The most apparent argument from citizens is that being gay is a ‘sin’ and gays having equality goes against the bible. Leviticus verse 18:22 says, “Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.” The bible also says in Leviticus verse 11:9, “Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams you may eat any that have fins and scales. 10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. 11 And since you are to regard them as unclean, you must not eat their meat; you must regard their carcasses as unclean. 12 Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be regarded as unclean by you.” Obviously we don’t follow that last rule, so why should we take what the bible says about being gay and abide by it? Clearly some people think it is okay to pick and choose parts of the bible they WANT to go by. So if we throw the bible in gays faces shouldn’t we throw it in everyone’s faces based on what they do and go find the specific verse in the bible where it says what they are doing is wrong. We should NOT base our society on a book that is over 2000 years old! In our country we are supposed to be free. Free to love and be happy. How are we letting our people do that by not letting them marry the one that they love?

More people have been fighting for gay rights and equality, but it is unfortunate to that it has taken so long to make the little progress we have. I can not wait to see the day my mom walks down the isle; no hate or discrimination. Just the long walk to happiness.


The author's comments:
My mother and my aunt are both gay, and we are from a very small Texas town. They deserve to be accepted for who they are no matter where they live and I hope one day that can happen.