Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People | Teen Ink

Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People

By Brandon Charles BRONZE, Essex Jct, Vermont
Brandon Charles BRONZE, Essex Jct, Vermont

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

-The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America

The 2nd Amendment says that people have the right to bear arms. Clearly. Gun control law that demand people to get rid of firearms are un-Constitutional. And here are some reasons why I am against laws that take away guns.

First, let’s examine some of the “alarming” statistics that gun control advocates often mention. Let’s educate ourselves. On an average day in the U.S., guns are used to kill more than 80 people, injure almost 300 more, and commit approximately 3,000 crimes. And only about 10 to 15 percent of those guns were illegal or stolen. So, yes, applying a gun control law would might make it harder for citizens to get guns. But, like a lot of other things, such as drugs, criminals still manage to get a hold of them. Also, consider this fact, more than 6,000 teens die every year in car accidents. Should we get rid of cars?

Let’s look a bit closer at some tragedies that typically rouse gun control advocates. For our first example, we’ll examine the recent Colorado movie theater shooting involving James Holmes at a midnight Dark Knight series premier. He had been planning that shooting for a long time. James Holmes had no previous criminal record (Wikipedia). No current gun control law would have stopped from owning a weapon. This event shows that this man planned this out so well, that if there was a gun law or not, he still would have gotten the guns he had anyway and committed the crime. Later James Holmes pleaded insanity in his trial. This shows that this guy was not right in the head in anyway. In this case, the guns he had were all registered and legal. This is why these shootings happen. Because gun shops don’t do thorough background searches, searches for potential psychiatric disabilities. Holmes did have records of psychiatric illness (Wikipedia).

I think that more thorough background checks and certain tests should take place in order to get a gun. So now if a person that wants to buy a gun that has a record of former robbery or prison background, he or she can't get a hold of that gun because they are the people that could use a weapon in a harmful way.

Guns are dangerous, it is a fact. But they can be used in good ways. Police use them to protect citizens from criminals. And people use them to go hunting to feed their family’s. And yes, there are the people that ruin it for everybody. And those people are the criminal’s that don't want to abide by the rules. They are the people that you see on the news where the headline say’s “Murder scene.”

Some gun restrictions are good. Because what is the good of having a fully automatic fire-arm? You can’t go hunting with one because if you unload 10-20 rounds into a deer or bear the meat will be ruined. Unless you like eating bullet shrapnel. A fully automatic rifle has bad news written all over it. There is no use for one, unless you're over in Afghanistan fighting a war. Federal Assault Weapons Law was a law that set place back in 1994, signed by President Bill Clinton. This law stated that you could not own a fully automatic firearm in the U.S.
What I’m trying to say is that no matter if there is a gun control or not, criminals will not stop using them. And to make a law to take away the right for innocent people to have to give up their weapons and criminals to still have them is unconstitutional. Innocent people now have nothing to protect themselves. So it goes to show that guns aren't bad. Its the people that use them in bad ways.

So now when your watching the news about another shooting, don’t think it’s the gun that killed those people. Think about this line, “Gun’s don’t kill people, people kill people.” Guns can kill and they can save lives. I know what my opinion on gun control is. Whats yours?

I wrote this peice because I feel like this Is an imoprtant topic right now.

cori jameson said...
cori jameson, Jamica, Florida
Great job! I like how you keep everything in place. Hopefully this goes on the print magazine because it is great!!!