Fast-Paced Clicks | Teen Ink

Fast-Paced Clicks

April 2, 2015
By Philana BRONZE, Bucharest, Other
Philana BRONZE, Bucharest, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The internet. One of the most criticized and most loved things that we have these days. Yet, what makes the internet so unique? What makes it so special? And is it true that spending “too much time” or time on the internet at all can really harm you? And overall, what effects does the internet have on us? What does the internet do to you? The stereotypical teenager spends tons of time on the internet. Checking Instagram and taking selfies for Facebook. Watching Pewdiepie on YouTube while staying in line at Starbucks, listening to Taylor Swift while doing homework. But is this really how teens are? Is this really how the world turned out to be? Is our behavior really crucially impacted by the internet, and if so how?


Firstly, it is obvious that we ARE impacted by the internet. Many people can recall a time before Google when you had to go search the library shelves for the information you wanted, be it for a History project or just for a little fun. The “good old days”.  What changes with the internet? What does the internet really do and whom does it impact? What is its major characteristic? The following areas have been hugely impacted by the growth and spread of the internet:


a) Media and culture
b) Information
c) Communication


All of the three things mentioned above are crucial. With the growth of the internet culture found an easy way to spread. Advertisements, people’s opinions and crazy YouTube videos became common place, thus culture started moving, fast. Does anybody remember all the hype that existed on the internet over seemingly pointless topics? The new Game of Thrones season is coming out, my Mom is doing the ice bucket challenge, Flappy Bird is an annoying game, what color do you see the dress? How long does the hype over these things last? They turn into old jokes at some point, but because of the internet, one joke can have success and then everybody finds it, everybody uses it, and then the joke gets old and annoying. This contributes to the progress of culture. The way in which information is presented can be done in very diverse manners and people can comment on it so easily that what is done online is no longer called just advertising or just commenting on something, it’s called advancing culture at hyper speeds. The internet also gives quick information. Many people comment saying it is better to do it the old fashioned way, reading a book, but I disagree. Online there is great information, information that can help someone through an insecurity, depression or temporary curiosity. There is no longer a need to buy many books, to look at every subject in depth. Nobody has an excuse, anybody can get somewhat informed on physics before starting a comment war about the topic. Information flows, and we won’t pay attention to all of it, we will simply pick out the interesting bits. This is not bad, it’s good. We have the time to circle around topics, the information is there, we must only reach for it, done, one click away. As for the last and most crucial field impacted by the internet, communication, there really is a lot to say. Anybody can share any sort of idea very quickly. We can keep in touch with friends miles apart. It is also very easy for us to bully and troll. That being said, the next thing to consider, is the following: What makes the internet so different from anything else before it? The answer to that question is painfully simple. The internet is a big, interactive and free media. That is what makes it so attractive, the internet feels limitless, the internet often feels like a huge game in itself, that is what makes people drawn to it.


And now it’s time to plunge into the debate you’ve all been waiting for. What are the effects of the internet on us, and are they good. First, let’s look at some common supposed effects that people bring and see if they are true or false


a) The internet is addictive and that is bad
b) The internet makes it harder to have meaningful social relationships and that is bad
c) The internet is a waste of time
d) The internet helps people connect
e) The internet slows people’s brains
f) The internet makes people less creative
g) The internet makes people more creative
h) The internet is dangerous
i) The internet is fun
j) The internet fosters bullies and trolls.


The internet is addictive. That is true. But I would argue that it being addictive is not bad. It is also likely that in a world without any other form of entertainment people would be “addicted” to taking walks. Why is the specific form of entertainment called internet considered bad? Because of the next idea on my list? That it stops you from socializing? First thing first, a person that does have problems with socialization will have problems with socialization regardless of the fact that the internet exists or not. The second this is that most friendships are chatty, they aren’t really deep meaningful feeling sharing all the time. The most common and easiest form of internet communication is chatty. Most friendships just aren’t that deep. Most people simply don’t discuss dualism or quantum physics, and they won’t, whether they are out in the park or on Facebook. The internet is also not a waste of time. There seems to be this idea in our culture that if we are not doing something considered useful we are wasting our time. There’s nothing wrong with relaxing it doesn’t matter if the preferred method is playing Candy Crush or taking a walk.  The internet however doesn’t help people connect with each other unless they really know each other. The internet connects cultures, not individuals. I am from across the Atlantic and I was able to learn US culture from the internet. It doesn’t make people dumber. Reading a book doesn’t make you any smarter. It gives you a different feel and benefits you when it comes to identity, sure, but it doesn’t make you smarter, not really. Neither will the internet make you dumber. It also has little to no effect on people’s creativity. The creative will have where to express and the uncreative will either meet creative ideas, stay the same, or, on the contrary “waste” time that could make them more creative. However, if people honestly cared about creativity, they would fight for changes in the education system, not complain about the internet. The web is also not as dangerous as people thought. Yes, your information will most certainly be stolen, but the chances of someone looking at it are actually very small. As long as you live in a secure environment you should be fine. The internet can be incredibly boring or incredibly fun depending on the person. It is not a place that fosters bullies, it is merely a reflection of the aggressive human nature. The internet doesn’t make culture, it amplifies it and spreads it.

 

Now, some of you might be wondering: “Why are you writing this?” and the reason is very simple. There’s a great amount of talk, especially between adults about kids and the internet nowadays. The internet and videogames seem to be taking the blame for everything. Yet, if teens and adults are honestly concerned with the identity, intelligence, safety and creativity of the youth the internet is honestly not the place to scapegoat. Could the internet produce some problems, could it have effects on the youth? Sure. Are these effects to blame for everything we don’t like? No. I am urging people to analyze society and look at how it has changed, I am asking you to analyze the internet and analyze your life, and then go far beyond that, to find the solutions to the actual problems, and to not be afraid of the things that are new, fast, and ultimately a mirror of the world as it is.