Are People Too Dependent on Computers? | Teen Ink

Are People Too Dependent on Computers?

What is the first thing you do when you get home from school? Do you start working on your homework right away, or do you go straight to your computer? Nowadays, people start to rely or depend on their computers. Computers are starting to become a problem within the world. To people, electronic devices, such as computers, are addicting and are starting to control the world. This proves people are too dependent on computers.

Some people are starting to become addictive to computers. Instead of only using social media such as popular social media apps, such as ‘Snapchat’ and ‘Instagram’ to contact others, such as long distance friends, people are using this as an advantage. Most parents are worried for their kids for using social media because they fear that they will lose their social skills when they face the real world. Computers are so addicting, that more than “75% of kids would rather stay at home playing games on their computers then going outside” (paragraph 5, Ramandeep Kaur). This proves that people should stop, or limit their time of usage of computers/the internet.

Today, almost the whole world is using computers. What if one day people stop going to the library or bookstores? Afterall, we do have ‘Ebooks’ and ‘IPads’ to read from. But, although we have these advantages, most people prefer books over reading on electronic devices. According to the Vision Council, “more than 95% of Americans risk for Digital Eye Strain with Increased Device Use” (paragraph 1, The Vision Council).  If you’re researching a certain topic, you would usually go to the library. Instead, people rely on computers, which they could use at home, for research. What would happen to libraries if everyone started to rely on computers more often instead of books? If this happened, libraries would start to shut down and people who work there would most likely lose their jobs.
Computers are controlling the world. 92.7% of people use computers/the internet. According to the American Heart Association, “an average teen spends at least 20 hours a week in front of a computer screen” (paragraph 5, Monica Bator). What is the first thing you see when you enter a coffee shop, like starbucks with free wifi? Besides the long line, you see people on their laptops filling each and every open seat in the cafe. What if one day the internet shuts down? To some people it would be total chaos. Students are trying to search questions on the internet to find answers for their homework, instead of actually fully understanding the problem. 98% of the information found on the internet is false. Before computers were first invented in 1822, people actually had to live a life without high end technology we, today have.

All this information concludes that we humans depend on computers too much, instead of using other resources to help improve our learning abilities. We may use a computer for helpful reasons. But, is this really necessary? Most people can’t go through the day without using a computer. Many people have attempted to not use the internet for a day, but has failed. People have made computers essential to their everyday life. If you pass this challenge, this proves that it is possible to not use the internet.