Love the Skin You're In | Teen Ink

Love the Skin You're In

May 16, 2016
By Breannasand SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Breannasand SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone wants to feel accepted, to feel pretty, and to fit in with the everyday crowd. The size of the global skincare market is estimated to be 121 billion US dollars in 2016 by ?Statista?, the International trade stats. That is a problem, not everyone has the money to forge their looks, or just can’t “better” their body with the prick of a needle. They found a solution, instead of spending all your cash on cosmetics, and surgeries, why not just manipulate your body to have every feature you could possibly want? It seems everyone is doing it, it looks much better than your bare old body. Why not just condemn those freckles, plaster on the makeup, and throw away that loose skin? Here's why, the media's obsession with photoshop has gone from feminist to destructive. It is being injected in every race, gender, and age. With every newspaper printed, those magazines sold, that annoying ad that you have no choice in seeing, and all those posts on those social apps that seems just too good to be true. Photoshop is everywhere and this is why people need to come to a realization that this is a bigger deal than just a quick fix on the imperfections.


Although photoshop in the news doesn't seem as important, or common as compared to magazines, it still has an impact in the way a state, county, or nation looks at your state or country. When news is let out, your first instinct is to believe what it said. Maybe we need to be careful, and look at the details, because anybody can easily change the story with a click of a button. Here are some of the biggest examples of scandals that have been brought to attention that they have been altered. The first defamation is by the Times in June of 1994, Time and Newsweek featured OJ Simpson’s mug shot on their cover’s. The two magazines, placed side to side had a noticeable difference, and the public immediately started to realize. The Times had darkened Mr.Simpsons skin and background. To me and many other news articles, like “Time responds to Criticism Over Simpson Cover” in The New York Times, written on June 25, 1994, by playing with the light, and shadows it left an impression that OJ Simpson was already behind bars. He had not been at that time.


Perhaps one of the most popular photoshop disaster occurred in 2008 and was covered widely and was a huge deal in the public. As news of Iran’s provocative missile tests spread, a picture of 4 missiles shooting up into the sky was released. Only it contained one too many missiles. Major news companies like The New York Times, The Chicago Tribune, The Financial Times, The Los Angles Times, as well as many news websites such as  BBC News, MSNBC, Yahoo!, and others had these pictures displayed widely on their newspapers and websites.


The final example of photoshop in the news, has to do with Egyptian President, Hosni Mubarak. Complex on July 16, 2013 reported that Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram doctored a photo of a group of world leaders, including Barack Obama, Mahmoud Abbas, King Abdullah II, Benjamin Netanya, and Hosni Mubarak. The newspaper moved the Egyptian President to make it look like he was leading the pack, when in reality Obama was in the lead, and Mubarak was the farthest to the back. Making it look like Egypt was one of the leading countries, changing the way the nation viewed the situation. News altercations are pretty serious to that of magazines, but magazines can have an impact, emotionally and physically.


Magazines, if want to hear the latest gossip, or maybe catch up on the latest in sports, or even read a medical journal. Whatever we are reading, we are prone to see some type of unrealistic idea of beauty. Self-esteem is being destroyed in the whirlwind of photoshop, and fake ideals of beauty. Women are intoxicated with women in magazines that wear a size 0, perfectly tanned and toned, and yet, are suppose to believe that's real. Not only are women being brought down by the fake bodies produced digitally, but men are also affected. Covers are polluted with heightened muscles, abs, and perfectly toned bodies. Nowadays disorders are more common than ever and some of that is believed to be cause by this false beauty trend. The National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA), says that anorexia is one of the most common chronic illnesses of today's younger generation. On Oct. 21, 2013, the NEDA estimated that almost 50% of 1st to 3rd grade girls want to be skinnier. Doutzen Kroes, a Victoria's Secret model, interviewed by Huffpost Style has her point of  view on the issue. “I feel I’m such a big part of that insecurity that some girls might have because of my job, that girls think they have to be that picture. And even boys, they think that that picture exists and it’s so frustrating because I don’t look like that picture — I wake up not looking like that picture.” Kroes thinks this is an issue, and she is the one with the perfect looking body, obviously it needs to stop.


Ads are everywhere, fixed high on bill boards, hung on windows, put in magazines or newspapers, and on social media. It's a big concern growing up as an adolescent surrounded by digitally altered advertisements, and Lobbyists that agreed took to Capitol Hill March 27, 2014. According to Time on April 3, 2014 “Members of the Eating Disorders Coalition met with over 50 lawmakers about the Truth in Advertising Act of 2014, introduced on March 27 2014, which they say could prompt the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the impact digitally retouched images have on society.” Washington Post reported April 18, 2014 that the bill had passed and that the FTC would prepare a report on the use of photoshop, not requiring any actual action to the altered photos. There are multiple types of ads, most of which include using some type of photoshop, whether it is body or product it should all be regulated.


Other ads are on social media. Ads like Zendaya’s cover, the former Disney actor photoshopped on the cover of the November issue of Modeliste Magazine. When Zendaya saw the changes they made to her thighs, hips, and torso that were completely minimized she was infuriated. The actor who promotes honest and pure love immediately spoke up about the false ad on Instagram with the caption "Had a new shoot come out today and was shocked when I found my 19 year old hips and torso quite manipulated. These are the things that make women self conscious, that create the unrealistic ideals of beauty that we have" With this said even the people who seem to have perfect bodies, don't always and it should be known when they used digital editing.
Being brought up into these fake ideas, and plastic pictures in newspapers, magazines, ads, social apps, and basically any type of media, is why photoshop is destroying the world of technology. Stop and pay attention to your surroundings, look at the details, look at people around you and the pictures plastered with ideals that are unreal. Realize just how pretty people are without the altered hips, thighs, breasts, and whatever other body part they decided to minimize or even maximize. Open your eyes to see how their true body is more unique and exciting than a carbon copy made by a computer. I am not saying we should get surgeries and pile on the make up to be pretty, but be true to your looks. We should always feel accepted, and want to be our own person. It's easy to manipulate a photo to make you look like plastic, but it's easier to be yourself, and love the skin you're in.


The author's comments:

I feel photoshop is a growing issue in our society.