Dogfighting | Teen Ink

Dogfighting

By logdog33 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
logdog33 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

In the USA today there is a $500,000,000 operation going on under the streets. It’s called dog fighting, “ This is harder to uncover than a drug enterprise” quoted by  Grace Parks in the article “The senate acts to toughen dog fighting penalty”. We should make a national standard for dogfighting. I’m going to share informatin about Minnesota’s penalties, Georgia's penalties, and a national standard.

In Minnesota today our penalties are very light compared to other states for spectating a dog fighting event it is a gross misdemeanor, if you store dogs in your ring it’s a felony, and owning a dog fighting dog is a felony. How ever in some southern states the punishment is more severe Info from Animal Legal & Historical Center published in 2014 by Hanna Gibson a student who studies law at Michigan State University . 

The state of Georgia your first offense is a  misdemeanor. However on your second offense it’s no less than 1-5 years in prison or a 5,000.00 fine or more, or possibly ending up with both. If someone owns their own ring it’s no less than 1-5 years in a state prison. However if you get caught it’s 1-10 years in prison. Now if you own a dog it’s still a felony. Info from Animal Legal & Historical Center published in 2014
by Hanna Gibson a student at Michigan State University studying law.

.There are so many different penalties that are across the board and people who do this will and are crossing state lines into states with lower penalties.

That’s why we should propose a national standard. If we have a national standard with the same penalties in every state it’s more likely that people will not do it as much, We also have to increase the penalties so people won’t want to be caught. It would mean bigger fines, more jail time, just bigger penalties for people that get caught fighting dogs.

So what i’m trying to get at is a national standard for this crime and maybe it will stop some people from doing it if we make the punishment a bit more harsh. Some states penalties are not very strict and it’s a slap on the wrist. If we propose something like this our crime rate for this will drop substantially. Less people will be doing this if the crime has a more harsh penalty. Can we stop dog fighting all together? Probably not, but we can try by starting here. I have just told you about Minnesota’s penalties, Georgia’s penalties, and why we should make a national standard.