Evil Goths or Misunderstood People? | Teen Ink

Evil Goths or Misunderstood People?

February 16, 2009
By Amyyy BRONZE, Butler, Missouri
Amyyy BRONZE, Butler, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

What do you think of when you hear the word Gothic? Do you think of evil, black clothes, or Satan? The Gothic subculture is one of the most misunderstood subcultures in the world today. "So what is Gothic then?"-you would ask.

Many people are led to believe that Goths are witches and worshippers of Satan. This is hardly true at all. I've also seen people reject Goths in a way that is so absurd. They accuse Goths of being murdurers, rapists, abusers, druggies, alcoholics, homosexuals, and mentally retarded people. First of all, 98% of Goths do not fit under any of these accusations and second of all, Goths are just NORMAL people. Because a person dresses in black, wears black eyeliner, and has black hair, people choose to accuse them unjustly.

Goths dress and act different because they want to be different or because they might have been rejected by "normal" society. Goths tend to be very open-minded and do not always agree with everything someone has to say. They have to check things out for themselves. Now as for black clothing; so what if someone likes a certain color more than others? Some wear black because it is slimming and some wear it just because. Black is a color; not a symbol of Satan worshipping.

Goths, in fact, have many different tastes, music, religions, and even fashions. Like I said before- they are normal people, just like you. So why then, are they so obssesed with darkness and death? Haven't you ever looked at the stars or the moon and thought "Wow! This is so beautiful!?" The darkness of night is so exciting and breath-taking. So there's nothing wrong with enjoying the dark of night! As for death; it is a part of life in this mortal world, yet there are few willing to face this. No wonder someone freaks out when they meet a person who finds beauty in the midst of this dark and dying world! Let me tell you that suicide is not something anyone should dwell on, but some people (including Goths) like to think about the afterworld. Thinking about this is not wrong or weird at all.

Because of the media portrayal and misconceptions, there are many stereotypes about the Gothic subculture. One, is that Goth is a fashion. This is false. Putting on black and wearing black eyeliner does not make you a Goth. Goth is a state of mind that developes over time. They are just people with a different style and personality that is both unique and quite beautiful. You probably think that they have a rebellious state of mind. Though there are some rebellious Goths, not all of them are this way.

Many people think that Gothic is a type of music. There are some bands and artists who are like this, but even some Goths don't like "Gothic" music. Yes, it is very true!

So, in conclusion to all of this, please accept Goths as normal, loving, and fun people, because I can guarantee that there are really fun and cool Goths! You don't have to like them, but don't make fun of them or judge unjustly. Besides, everyone is different in their own way!

"Gothic:" What does this word mean to you now?


The author's comments:
I am a Goth and have had many people judge me very rudely because of it. So, I wrote this report hoping people would have a better understanding of who Goths really are. I hope this did not offend anyone and if it did, I am very sorry. Also, I'm sorry if my writing is awful!lol.