Why Education is Imperative to Young Girls | Teen Ink

Why Education is Imperative to Young Girls

December 22, 2016
By lexisachs BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
lexisachs BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know there are 31 million girls of primary school age not in school? Did you know that of these girls, 17 million are never expected to enter school again?  In the article “Education for All Monitoring Report,” the author explains how several countries including Nigeria, Pakistan, and Ethiopia have millions of girls who do not attend school. These are just a few of the shocking statistics that show how many girls around the world who do not have the right, or enough money to get a full education. There are many reasons why our society should fight for girls’ education and why it’s important to send them to school. Educated women are less likely to die during pregnancy, childbirth, or during the postpartum period. Another reason why education is so critical is because girls who go to school are less likely to become victims of a child marriage. On average, for every year a girl stays in school past fifth grade, her marriage is delayed a year. Educated girls typically marry later, when they are better able to care for their own children. Lastly, educated women have a greater chance of escaping poverty, leading healthier and more productive lives, and raising the standard of living for their children, families, and communities. Education is critical to having power in any society. To give girls power, we must send them to school.


To start off, girls who go to school are less likely to later die during pregnancy, childbirth, or even during the postpartum period. What this means is that when you educate a girl, they become literate and gain the skills they need to take care of themselves and eventually their kids. While they're pregnant, these women are more aware of what to eat and the dangers of taking drugs or other substances while pregnant. They are also more likely to seek medical care, know the questions to ask and have the confidence to better take care of themselves and their children. As explained in the article “Why do Women Die in Childbirth in Low Income Countries,” women and girls often have a very low status in low-income countries, and empowerment and education is essential to enabling them to make their own decisions, create independence and allowing them access to important prenatal and maternal health care.


Secondly, statistics show that the more time a girl spends in school, the older she will be when she gets married. Educated girls are better able to care for their children. A shockingly high number of girls do not stay in school beyond fifth grade. But for those who do, with each year that passes, they marry a year later. In the article “Girls Not Brides,” it states that many girls aren't educated because schools are inaccessible or too expensive. Parents may also believe that there is no value for their daughter to be educated either because, the school is of poor quality, or it may not be seen as relevant in their daughter’s lives. Instead, parents often see marriage as the best option for their daughters. Early pregnancy can also force girls out of school. Girls tend to drop out shortly after they get married. Because their new role of wife comes with new expectations this means taking care of the home and their children. The education of a women can impact a girl's confidence, empowering her and enabling her to avoid getting married before the age of 18. The longer a girl stays in school, the longer it takes for her to become a wife which often becomes a loss of independence and self.


Lastly, investing in girls’ education ultimately impacts the entire future of a woman’s life. She is more likely to find work and escape poverty. She is less likely to become a victim of domestic abuse and more likely to seek medical care and live a productive life. Educated women are also more likely to end the cycle of poverty in their families and make sure that their own children have access to education and eventually jobs and even careers. In the article, “How Girls Education Fights Poverty,” it explains how girls are trapped in a cycle of poverty. When families can only afford to send one child to school, they usually choose their sons over their daughters. Educating a girl not only improves her life, but the lives of her family and even her community more broadly. When a girl who already lives in poverty has a child too young, the baby will grow up and go through the same cycle that her mother went through. The child will not be educated, live in poverty, and get married young. One of the most effective means of preventing poverty, childbirth, and early marriage is education. All of these reasons supports the claim of how girls’ education can lead them to happier, healthier, and wealthier lives.
In conclusion, there are many reasons why we must liberate these young girls from oppression. It is  is critical to the global economy and even the stability of the world. There’s a saying that if you “educate a man, you educate an individual, and if you educate a girl you educate a nation.” Studies find that there is a true domino effect when it comes to educating girls. It begins to break the cycle of poverty in a family and a community. That in turn helps shift the perception of girls and women in a culture. Instead of being treated as second class citizens, educated women can earn their own money, have their own jobs, carve out their own independence, and ultimately have more power in society and within their own marriages. In too many countries around the world, women lack power. This is not just political power, but economic power and basic human rights. To change the world, It is imperative that we use our collective power to revolt against this tyranny. For these girls rights, we must start with educating the world’s girls. Girls are more than half the population and so many are at risk. When we send them to school we can truly make significant change.