Tolerance Is Possible | Teen Ink

Tolerance Is Possible

March 26, 2009
By zack whittet BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
zack whittet BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know that millions of humans want to badly injure and even kill others because of little things such as race and religion? Such pointless crimes are committed every day because of different beliefs and races. The importance of acceptance, possibility of change, and dedication of people who care can combine to make tolerance and peace possible.

Acceptance is a key factor when it comes to tolerance. First, people can learn to accept others by being open minded and understanding towards differences such as religion, gender, race and political views. For example, in the video, “The Truth about Hatred,” many people learned to accept others race and religion by communicating with each other. The characters met each other’s families, visited each other’s churches’ and experienced each other’s lifestyle. By doing this, they realized that they had a lot in common, and they became friends.

It is important for people to believe that change is possible. If people realize that change is possible, they would be willing to take that extra step and fight for a peaceful world. For example, in the, “Forget Me Not,” video, the boy walks into the Museum of Tolerance looking up to Nazis and believed that the Holocaust was all a joke. After going back in time and putting himself in others shoes, his thoughts were different. He learned that all of it was real and horrible, and he convinced others the same.

Tolerance can become a reality if people care and dedicate their time and energy towards others. Look at the Museum of Tolerance for example. The workers dedicate all of their time and energy teaching and convincing visitors about present day hatred. They have so many facts, exhibits, sculptures and exercises about the Holocaust and current day hatred. With them, they try to teach others about it and try not to let history repeat itself. So many people walk out of that museum with a completely different attitude and perspective towards their lives, and the lives of others. I sure did.

In order for tolerance to become possible in today’s world, we must believe in and practice acceptance, we must know that change is possible, and we must combine as one to accept each other’s differences in our world. I have learned that tolerance is not an option, it’s a necessity. After going through these experiences, I am determined to teach others and follow these three important examples