Genocide...Right Now? | Teen Ink

Genocide...Right Now?

Genocide is something that we have come to recognize from lessons in religion and history classes. As a review of vocabulary, genocide, as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group. When first learning about genocides, they seem to be events of ancient history that are so barbaric that they could not possible have taken place within the past century. Unfortunately, reality is not so logical. Many of the worst genocides in known history were carried out after the turn of the twentieth century. This may seem similar to a topic that we learn for a test and then soon after forget about it, but this issue deserves much more attention than that. The Holocaust and Rwandan Genocide are just a couple examples of such horrific mayhem. Even though Rwanda seems to have occurred too recently in history for our likings, the reality is that it was not even the end of genocide in our world.

Today, believe it or not, genocide is occurring in Sudan. We all wish that history did not repeat itself so horribly, but it is clear that the same acts of hatred and violence are occurring overseas today. The genocide to which I am referring is Darfur. If you have heard of it but are not sure what it is exactly, a few months ago I was in the same position. I had seen all of the shirts and promotions, but I never realized how horrendous the events taking place in Sudan really are. I later learned that the genocide of Darfur is happening as a result of political greed. Although the government of Sudan denies that they are involved in the massacre, they are the main supplier of weapons to the militia, or Janjaweed. What is the reason for all of this? The Sudanese government wants complete control of the Saharan land occupied by numerous tribes throughout the desert. In killing off all of the tribes in these areas, the government will be able to do as it pleases with the land.

Another question is: Why do they so desire this arid, dry, desert land in the middle of the Sahara? It is not easy to cultivate and there is very little water in the region, not to mention the absence of electricity. The tribes of people are not harming or threatening the government while residing on this land, so why is it an issue?

As of right now I, myself, am not sure what I can do to help with this cause, other than raising awareness and informing people of the issue. Even though we are not directly affected by it, as it is our duty to fight injustice. The genocide of Darfur is completely unjust, without a doubt. As we are constantly told, we can make a difference in this world. Being aware of injustice is the first step. Consider yourself informed.

If you would like to learn more about Darfur, or would like to find ways to help with the cause visit:
www.24hoursfordarfur.org

I was inspired to write this article for my school newspaper and decided to share it with Teen Ink. I hope that it helps spread some awareness about the issue, that is my goal.