An Athiests point of View | Teen Ink

An Athiests point of View

By ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody."

(MAY OFFEND SOME, DISCRETION ADVISED)
In America and throughout atheism has been looked down upon for many years. In 2005, America only had 2% of atheists and 4% agnostics, while the rest either believed in god or a higher power. As an atheist myself, I don’t disagree with religion what so ever. I come from a catholic family. At 14, I of course know little about the world compared to others. But in my opinion, I believe that religion is a controversial thing. To many, it is a sensitive subject. To me, it is nothing more than talking about the weather. Before I continue, I shall clarify a few things. Some people give atheists a bad name. Okay: I personally do not care how you run your life, nor will I try to conform you to my way of living. This is only my opinion and you may also have yours. It is, of course, a constitutional right (:
In my opinion, I feel religion is an excuse for many to feel comfortable with the afterlife. It gives people an excuse to think on the positive side rather than the negative. There is nothing wrong with that but any religion today, reminds me of the Greeks mythology/ the Aztecs praying towards the sun. Honestly, I don’t believe in any of it, I think it’s ridiculous, actually. And to compare that to Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, it makes no sense. It made me feel (Once I was catholic) as if I was an idiot for believing such a thing. I was as stupid as those who believed in a Greek god named Zeus.
What also brought me to atheism was faith in it’s self. It was hard for me to devote my life to something I only hoped exist. There was no scientific evidence that such a powerful man himself, existed. Although scientists do believe there was a Jewish man a named Jesus. He lived in Jerusalem and was believed to be the messiah. Wither that is true or not, that is what faith relies on. To me Jesus is no more real than Santa Claus.
Another point I’d like to make is; Abraham was the prior god to Jesus. Who created Abraham? If the world was not around how did the prior god create it? Doesn’t god need air and oxygen just like us? All of this is basic science, and people still disprove that he could survive anyways. Seriously? We can go on and on disproving how god doesn’t exist and anybody would add on to: Well god can fly! Me: How? It’s impossible Person: He has wings…
This is only my opinion. Please feel free to leave messages and comments. I most certainly will enjoy them. Thank you for reading.

I would just like to hear someone elses point of view.

SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
I went through a phase were the thought of dying scared the he*l (not sure thad b moderated) out of me... so religion for me is a way to be comforted. I actually don't think that the Greek Gods are ridiculous... it's just a way to be comforted.

sanra SILVER said...
sanra SILVER, Far Rockaway, New York
evolution!

and i don't think gravity have anything to do with evolution, and did you probably think that there's no such thing as a sky, maybe it's just a nothingness. i don't how people ever created the word "sky" but it's not like it's a blanket or a roof.

FlyingAlight SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
No atheist aren't lost. That would just be your reaction to having no religion since it is probably paramount in your life.

LihuaEmily SILVER, North Kingstown, Rhode Island

"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is the ultimate free lunch." -Alan Guth

Well, I disagree that we must rely strictly on science for proof of anything. You seem to suggest we devote our beliefs entirely to the concrete and material. I do not believe God would need oxygen. Why should He (and I do not believe God is male - I simply use He for convenience).

have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.

I agree with you. the funny thing to me is one of religious people's main rebuttles to atheism is that evolution isnt possible. to me it seems more possible that the world was developed from a tiny particle instead of being made by some higher magical force in heaven or something.

LaylaViolet said...
I just wanna say I respect your choice even if I don't agree with it. But if you have no religion... wouldn't you be a bit... lost?

sleeplessdreamer PLATINUM, Raleigh, North Carolina

"I have always wanted to write in such a way that people say, 'I have always thought that but never found the words for it.'" -anonymous

I would just like to say- a) Abraham was never considered to be a God.
b) Who said God has wings? Who says he needs them?
c) I don't have enough faith to be an athiest. Nature SCREAMS God's creation.
d) Proof there is no evolution is magnificent. It is genetically impossible that a tiny particle in space could have formed all of this- all the planets, all the organs in your body, all the trees, the seasons, the perfect tilt on earth's axis.
e) God can fly?... I haven't heard that one, so I don't know where that came from.
f) Jesus is not Santa. There is evidence Jesus Christ did exist. And Santa- although he is fictitious- gives us material gifts not eternal life like Jesus did.
g) Why would you not want to pray to the God of the universe who longs to talk to you more than anything else? Shouldn't you feel honored, not like you're wasting your life? I know I am grateful for that gift.
h) Thanks for writing this though

P.S. God does not have wings. I don't know where that one came from....

First of all, if you're going to say Christianity isn't real and be persuasive about it, you need to get your facts straight. First of all, and someone else pointed this out also, Abraham was NOT a god. He was someone that the Jews revered because he started their lineage.
Second- nature SCREAMS God's creative genius. The earth is on a perfect axis to the sun. How did "nature" creat that? Our bodies are made of billions of atoms made to fit perfectly in place. I don't know if I have enough faith- or imagination- to believe or be corrected in stating that is genetically impossible.
Thirdly- Jesus Christ is not Santa Claus. Both give gifts, but one is real and living and the other is a fun thing to do at Christmas. Jesus gave us life in eternity with Him.
And quickly to address Question Authority's comment. If the God the universe who sculpted you in the palm of His hand wanted you to talk to Him- wouldn't you feel honored? What else do you have that's better than that?
Thanks for writing this and being open to other opinions.

biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

hmmmmmm, well, i suppose that thats the way you want to run your life... but that just seems so hopeless, why would you want to at least have hope that and afterlife exsits, hope that god is real, and hope that you are being a good person in order to learn.... is it so hard to believe that someone created this world, that we did not come from idiotic monkeys, that we are not here simply to BE, but rather to be happy, and loving towards others, and learn? why would you think you are wasting your life on something that could perpetually save it?

AbbotRabbit GOLD, Abolana, District Of Columbia

This poem has great flow and insight.
I really enjoyed it.
Lovely poem darling =]
-Please check out the works that I have posted on here it would be highly appreciated and I think you would greatly enjoy them, Thankk youz-
XxIll tell you Im an orphan after you meet myy familyXx

The christian religion as well as creationism has many flaws tht you do not see.

YouthfulLight SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois

Whoever says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain

Well said.

I completely agree :)

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
I will sure comment.

However, I feel that it is getting late and should spend my time valuably.

I would like to point something out.

Why do you exist? Why does the world exist? Why do you feel? Why do you think? Did Papa Chimp pass that to you? If Evolution is true, were did gravity come from? Where did those rocks come from? If we evolved from chimps/monkeys, where did they come from? Look at the sky, who raised that above your head? Why does the sun brightly shine, in place, not veering off to destroy the whole planet? Why is the moon attracted to the earth? Why does gravity exist? Why do plants grow? Why is there such thing as water? Why does carbon exist, anyway? Why do you have people to love you and people that you love? Why does the universe exist? Did it just appear there? Did an explosion create the Unfathomable?

We cannot see the wind. But we can feel it. We cannot see the soul. However, we feel it. God exists. He does not need to show Himself. That would be pointless. He has given us enough proof.

I think that you have some really great points. I'm agnostic because I also feel that I can't devote my life to something I'm not entirely sure exists. That's why it's my standing that there's no proof of god, nor is there proof that god doesn't exist either, but I don't want to waste my life praying.

please comment

Well, you asked for my point of view, and I am ready to give it to you.
I am also 14 and a Christian , and I noticed in the last part of your paragraph you said that Abraham was the god prior to Jesus , which I have to say is false.
I am not sure where you heard that, but the Bible never said Abraham was a god. He was the father of many nations, the one God chose.
Also, I wanted to address the "well God can fly!" Part of your article.
I found it funny, and somewhat irritating that "God can fly!" Is all the person used to to to convice you there is a God. I don't believe God has wings anyway.
What I do believe is that God is here. He exists and he always has. He shows it to me every day, in simple ways and big ones. Without Him, I would be in the ground.
God saved my life. He gave me a reason to live. The way we are made is so mind blowing and complex that I can't belive we just poofed into existance. I can't begin to describe how much He has blessed me, and how grateful I am to Him.
God made it so we can't completely figure Him out through science. He want's us to be able to trust Him without proof, and that is what faith is. Believing without scienctific proof or evidence.
To me God is like the wind. You can't see it, but you just know it's there. I can feel it when I pray or when I'm anxious. He is my savior and the reason I live.
This is what I will forever believe.

Shambler92 PLATINUM, Buenos Aires, Other
Being an atheist myself I understand where you are coming from. I became one when I was your age (i'm 17) and had the same views towards religion. I though that christians and such where just kidding themselves with the idea of god. But then i realized something, the important thing is not in what you believe, if you pray to god or not, it is how you live your life. If a person can make full use of his life through religion that's fine by me and i'm glad for that person. that is the important thing, to live life, to truly live life. You have to understand all of these people. I personally think jesus and buddah are awesome, because i don't care if they talk under the notion of god, i care that they lived life and teached us (yes, atheist as well) how to live and make meaning out of life. That is the matter, to make meaning out of this existence.
I don't know if this makes sense at all, but f*ck it.