Merry Whatever Doesn't Offend You | Teen Ink

Merry Whatever Doesn't Offend You

November 18, 2013
By Propheteer GOLD, Sudbury, Other
Propheteer GOLD, Sudbury, Other
13 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be out-worked, period. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, you might be sexier than me, you might be all of those things you got it on me in nine categories. But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die. It's really that simple, right?
You're not going to out-work me. It's such a simple, basic concept. The guy who is willing to hustle the most is going to be the guy that just gets that loose ball. The majority of people who aren't getting the places they want or aren't achieving the things that they want in this business is strictly based on hustle. It's strictly based on being out-worked; it's strictly based on missing crucial opportunities. I say all the time if you stay ready, you ain't gotta get ready.”


― Will Smith


I love Christmas. I really do. It’s not about the presents for me, even though I’d be lying if I said I didn’t like them, but it’s about my family and the peacefulness that can’t be found throughout the rest of the year. I countdown the days to the wonderful occasion. In my house, we say Merry Christmas. We eat Christmas dinner. We exchange Christmas presents. We celebrate Christmas. So why is it “politically incorrect” to use the word Christmas?


Now before you go jumping to conclusions, calling me a racist, I’m not. But I do think it is more than a little ridiculous that we have to say “Happy Holidays”. Even at school, they push this on us. I got in to a debate with my Civics teacher that lasted almost the whole class about why I refuse to use the term “Happy Holidays.” I agree whole-heartedly that we should be accepting and respectful of other people’s beliefs, but this is taking it too far. I find it increasingly difficult to watch “Holiday” specials on TV because I this term is becoming more and more prevalent. Who are you offending by saying Merry Christmas?


Honestly, if you are watching a television station that is run mostly by people who celebrate Christmas, not Kwanzaa or anything else, and they say “Merry Christmas” or refer to it as Christmas time, and you’re offended by that, you’re the one with the problem. People preach about being respectful of others’ beliefs, so why can’t they be respectful of people who celebrate Christmas. If there’s an African station that uses Kwanzaa, why would I be offended by that? They’re not saying “Forget Christmas, their religion is wrong. Celebrate Kwanzaa!”, and neither are Christians or Atheists or whoever celebrates Christmas. The reality is, you have to respect people, but you also have to respect the beliefs of the majority. To be offended by someone promoting their holiday is an absolute joke.


There is also a ridiculous double standard for other holidays. When the Cadbury Creme Egg commercials start airing and say “They’re only here until Easter”, there’s no uproar! Even though Easter is a Christian holiday, celebrated mostly by Christians and Atheists, nobody is crying out saying “I don’t celebrate Easter! I’m offended by this commercial for chocolate!”.


But whatever. We live in the “pleaser generation”, where the mere uttering of a race is considered racist, or saying someone of a different race is bad at something is racist. People need to grow up. At the end of the day, if we weren’t so sensitive as a society, we wouldn’t have people complain about the advertisement of a different religion’s holiday. So celebrate what you want and I’ll respect it, but from me, Merry Christmas everyone!


The author's comments:
Let people celebrate what they want!