Transcendentalism in Society | Teen Ink

Transcendentalism in Society

By Montgomery_ BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
Montgomery_ BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

People of a variety of religions, professions, and descent comprise modern society, but they all share a common obligation. According to Transcendentalist beliefs, society requires every individual to promote and exemplify a life of productivity, individuality, and equality. The meeting of these requirements allows for the progression of mankind toward an ideal society.

Every person enters this world unique, with a set of contributions to mankind that, like his or her genetic code, are different from everybody elses. When executed, the trend to conform to popular practices nullifies the importance of an individual, for “he who loses individuality loses all” (Gandhi). Without recognizing the significance of diversity in thought, one has no hope to accomplish anything extraordinary, but only to consistently comply to the standards of the ordinary. “If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears” (Thoreau). Great matter lies in not only promoting individuality in oneself, but also in doing so in the lives of others. Throughout history, the people who have made the most dramatic impacts on the population institute ideas that, at the time, opposed popular beliefs. Prosperity, in every form, resides in the idea of nonconformity.

To perform at the highest level of excellence possible, and to contribute to the world most effectively, one must first liberate one’s mind from the grasps of popular society. A person must become one “whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other” (Emerson 1). Because of the pressure that modern civilization puts on individuals to conform through social media, advertisements, and the celebritizing of people, their minds begin to become compromised. However, it is pertinent that people resist the contamination of their thoughts and pursue intellectual freedom. “Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed” (Gandhi). The mind achieves the most when it has been purified of all insignificant thoughts that society often fills it with. No person ever reaches a state of absolute perfection, so every individual can continually strive for greater liberation of his or her mind and with it, a greater understanding of the universe.

A diverse mix of people form the population of the world, and each person, no matter what characteristics describe him or her, deserves equality, a right that must be fought for by all in order for it to exist. All people “must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools” (King). Retaining rights from certain individuals damages the population as a whole by withholding from it an individual who has the potential of accomplishing great feats. Progression toward an optimal society is only possible if everybody possesses the ability to coexist with one another as equals. All people “are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality,” (King 1) meaning that in order to establish peace, all men must be equals. The condoning of unjust behavior toward a fellow person has no place in a respectable and productive society.
Setting an example for the rest of the world to follow acts as the greatest contribution an individual can make. To “convince a man that he does wrong, do right,” (Thoreau) in order to reveal to him the flaws in his ways. Some people may not know how to effectively contribute to their community, but once they see an example of how to do so, they will become more productive individuals. “The purpose of life is to be useful,” (Emerson) and to positively influence others for the greater good of humanity. By living an exemplary life of worth, an individual’s greatness will manifest itself in all of those who that person came in contact with, thus significantly transcending society.
Every individual’s actions produce a ripple effect, inspiring similar actions in others. Society obligates the members of its population to commit themselves to practicing a unique lifestyle that embraces qualities of Transcendentalism, endorsing themes of nonconformity, equality, and self motivation. Those who meet these standards create a movement, stimulating each person to live to their full potential, which elevates society to a new level of eminence.