Life Is But a Vapor | Teen Ink

Life Is But a Vapor

By CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,
CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,

"No one likes half-jinglers! Jingle all the way!" - Shelley McNeight
"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." - GSUMUN

Exhausted from the pain, the trials, the superficial veneers of this life, I breathe out, “What is life?” My perspective is clouded, dizzy, sickening even. My world is spinning out of my control. My future is cloudy- full of uncertainties. Life is a mess. It's unpredictable. As my mind surrenders to fear – fear of the unknown, my friend brings me back to reality: “Life is but a vapor.” She's right. Inarguably, life is fleeting. Just a few years ago, I lived with my family without a single worry in my pretty little head, but now, I am sitting here (probably thinking too much). But how could I have known that life would pass so quickly, that time is a relentless vortex that sucks your life away in a few years? How could I have known that the childhood days when all I wanted to be was grown up were the best ones? Or am I living in the best moment now? Is it human nature to question and measure our happiness.? Why why why do we always want more? Why do we always crave for the past? Why do we always place our hopes in the future? For heaven's sake, we are wishing our lives away. And then, 20 years from now, I will look back at my adolescent years and realize that this moment was a moment worth enjoying. Then, 40 years from now, I will look back and wonder if I have lived my life to the fullest. I hope that my memories won't be of regret, but of happiness, joy, and content. Life is but a vapor. I cannot comprehend it completely now. After all, I am still young. I still wish for time to pass quickly so I can finally  get out of school and take one more step towards becoming who I want to be. But the truth of it is, I may never reach that point. I'll always be looking for more. I'll always be unsatisfied. But how can I be unsatisfied when everything I need is with Christ? I know in my heart that God will provide. After all, He is the reason I have what I have, I say what I say, I do what I do, and I am who I am. He is the reason I'm no longer that poor,fatherless child who had a constant look of hunger in her eyes. I am now saved. I have a whole family who loves me. I have a warm home. I am never hungry, never in want of anything. But alas, I am in want of something- something unknown. I watch the movies and read the books. Everyone seems to have a happy ending. When shall I receive mine? When will I meet the love of my life? When will I have my own family? When will I reach my goals? When will I become the person I want to be?

The answer, I'm afraid, is: Never. At least Never in this world. For in my faith, that happy ending is found in Heaven when I meet my Father. And life, why life is but a vapor. All this pain, all this hurt, all this bitterness is only temporary. All the hunger and thirst we have in this world. Think about them. We make such a big deal of little stuff. We magnify our problems and make them the end of the world.

So maybe I should learn to look past my troubles and build a more positive perspective. Perhaps I just need to clean my lenses. Perhaps a few drops of reality with clear the ambiguity from my perspective of life. These new set of lenses are what I will use to build a more positive light in my heart. If I can be a positive light for others, then why can I not be one for myself? Perhaps these new glasses will be the answer to my questions. Perhaps this is what I need to slow my life down and discover what it really means to live. For life is but a vapor, and as I put on these new glasses, I prepare to become an explorer embarking on a journey of self-discovery Instead of complaining about the bumps on the road, maybe I should be thankful of my strong, sturdy tire that never wears out. This journey, although short, must be lived. Risks must be taken. And love must never be forgotten.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I enjoyed reading it a lot, it felt almost as though you were directly talking to me. I've read your other works and I too think your thoughts get a bit scattered at times, but it contributes in making your work seem more genuine. Also, I think you entered and exited the topic of God too abruptly, maybe a bit more elaboration would make it nicer. Great effort, though! I hope you keep writing.

AvengeMyBrokenSong GOLD, WHOOP, New York

"It takes more strength to cry at mid-defeat."
-Susan Boyle
"The closer you get to the light, the bigger your shadow becomes."
-Kingdom Hearts

I. Can't. Even. 'nuff said.

ScarletIce4695 GOLD, Karachi, Other
This is just awesome!!!

CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,

Thanks! :)

alioops SILVER said...
alioops SILVER, North Hollywood, California

"What moves men of genius, or rather, what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."
- Eugene Delacroix

Wonderful writing! Your expert word choice created perfectly crafted sentences. It seemed like each idea was purposefully placed and each one was meant to be there.

CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,

Thanks!! The inspiration stems from frustration and enough stress hahaha

CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,

Got it! Will work on logical flow lolol

Crystallite BRONZE, Santa Elena, Other
Just wow :o This is so awesome and so true! How did you come up with all of this?!? Now you have got me thinking and reflecting ! :D Just awesome job writing all of this! This is beautifully penned. Great job!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Hey there! I feel like a lot of emotion went into this piece! What you've said above is something I wish I could communicate, even to myself. Overall, quite striking and very nice. Parts of it are a bit sporadic, causing my brain to kind of ricochet all over my cranial cavity, but maybe that's its charm.