Refs in Soccer | Teen Ink

Refs in Soccer

By NatFrampton2022 BRONZE, Parsipany, New Jersey
NatFrampton2022 BRONZE, Parsipany, New Jersey

The refs blow the whistle and the game gets started. The first 30 minutes of the game was mostly played well by both teams.  There were no goals and neither team had dominated. In the 45th minute Jose gets the ball and shoots it over the goal and that ends the first half. Both teams head back to the locker room and they get fifteen to talk it over and get ready for the second half. Reporters told the commentators that the coaches had told the players that “This is a big game and they have to come out with better intensity and better play”. It's now 15 minutes later and now we are going to get the second half started. The ball is kicked and now underway. It's now 30 minutes into the second half and it seems mostly one sided, dominated by Orlando destroying the opposition right now. Nashville has got to step it up or Orlando is going to get the goal soon. The Nashville coach keeps yelling at them and saying “Pick up the pace and play together”. It is now 10 minutes left in the game and Orlando kicks the ball into the box and the ball was knocked away but Orlando is screaming for a hand ball. The Orlando players keep yelling at the ref for a video review.  The referee refuses. From the replay, you can see an obvious handball by the defender.  The game continued on and now the ref blew the whistle and it's full time.  As a result of the tie, Nashville has moved on to the championship match and Orlando has been knocked out.

Referees Refs have been preparing for years to play on the big stage and the results have shown and they don't ever seem to get the call right. The Major League Soccer, MLS, is a growing league and this can´t be a problem that holds it back. Most players and coaches are disgusted with the calls play from of the Refs especially and the blatant missed calls. In the article, “MLS referees admit late-game error that potentially cost La Galaxy a playoff spot´´by Nate Bomberg Sporting Kc Coach Peter Vermes had to say ¨the play of the refs was unprofessional and the fact that we missed that call out there in any game, let alone with the magnitude of this game  is incredibly disappointing to someone who has been in the league since 1996”(Bromberg). For most people it would be a dream to reach the professional level but for  these refs, they seem to be taking advantage and failing to concentrate on the match which in result can end up easily changing outcomes. This problem needs to be addressed, as this growing league cannot have poor officiating changing the outcome of championships.   The MLS knows this will cause fans to lose interest and damage their league, which they must get under control.

Furthermore, this situation with poor referees should not be a continuing problem and therefore, needs to be addressed. There are many ways we can fix this as fans. One of the most powerful things we can do as fans is boycott the MLS to send a message that this poor officiating causes us to lose interest in the teams, games and the entire league. Boycotting is one of the most powerful messages since it directly affects the league revenues. What we can do as fans is to choose to not attend the games and make executives of the MLS worry about filling the stadiums. Without a powerful message from the fans, that this poor officiating will not be tolerated, the league will not change.  Without a change, this rising league will be ruined.

In conclusion, the situation is clear and has to be stopped. If not, it will create many problems. To this date the executives of the MLS appear to be ignoring the problem and by ignoring the problem, it only gets worse.   The league is not listening to us fans and is continuing to provide excuses for the poor officiating that we are experiencing. The MLS is a growing league with a bright future but this problem with the officiating can jeopardize its future. However, there is hope! The problem has caught the attention of a lot of people and especially the coaches and players whose lives are invested in the league. In the end, officiating like this can't be tolerated because it can hurt the league, causing the fans to lose interest and destroy players’ and coaches’ careers.

Refs in soccer have always been a problem in sports and haven´t ever been stopped. It has always been seen as a problems by the fans and hasn´t ever been resolved by Fifa. Fifa just seems to be so corrupt that they don´t care anymore