Not A Hoarder | Teen Ink

Not A Hoarder

Last summer, I came home after walking with my best friend, holding a small piece of concrete that I found on the road. After washing it with soap and water, I ran up to my room, already thinking of a place to put it. It was at that moment that I bumped into my Mom, a “hoarder’s” worst nightmare.

“What is that?” My Mom inquired, though I’m sure she already knew the answer.

“A memento from this summer.” I responded quickly, trying to walk past her.

“Why are you collecting junk from outside and bringing it inside?” She shook her head as I mumbled some excuse and went to my room. This really made me wonder: “Am I a hoarder or am I just sentimental?” Personally, who wouldn’t want to look back at bizarre items that bring up memories of old and simpler times. However, I understand that people don’t want clutter around their house and room, but don’t all these items add to the room’s personality? It really brings your room to life as you look around and see all the fun times you enjoyed with friends and family in the past. Isn’t that why we take pictures, you may be wondering. Well, yes, but it doesn’t give the same feeling as physically holding an item that you found years ago. If you still disagree with me, imagine this: the new generation looking back at objects from hundreds of years ago, objects that you saved in hopes of reminiscing on your own. Now, not only are you able to hold memories close to your heart, but you are also able to share them with future generations. Physical and digital pictures will eventually fade away as new technology is developed; however, that special seashell you found on your trip to the beach can be a historical artifact in a museum one day.

So, you’re still convinced that I’m a hoarder. Okay, then explain this, why do so many famous movies and shows contain beloved characters that collect items. For example, in the movie Peter Pan, Tinkerbell is by far one of the most popular and likeable characters. In fact, the public loves Tinkerbell so much that Disney decided to produce at least seven spin off movies just for her. Though Tinkerbell is well loved due to her spunky attitude and cute appearance, her habit of collecting memorable items just adds to her overall appeal. If that’s not enough proof, let’s discuss another awesome movie, The Little Mermaid. Not only does this movie have one of the best soundtracks, it also includes amazing characters with even more amazing collection habits. The main character, Ariel, who many people often confuse the name of the movie with—ugh, amateurs—is included in this bunch as she collects many items from the human realm. Another character is, surprisingly, Ursula. Not many people would think of her as a collector, but she does indeed collect souls which clearly bring up some memorable times as she explains in her one-of-a-kind song: Poor Unfortunate Souls.

Additionally, picking up an item or souvenir from a trip or memorable moment in your life is much faster and more efficient than taking a photo. To take a photo, you must find a nice area with sufficient lighting and then pose. Depending on how many pictures you decide to take, this can take minutes of your time which could’ve been spent enjoying the moment. After all of this commotion, you might then want to add a filter or post it on social media. Rather than going through this whole process, you can easily pick up a leaf or other trinket while still living in the present. Countless people call us pack rats due to our habits; however collecting interesting and nostalgic objects means that you are a sentimental person, after all, we are not hoarders.

I am someone who enjoys collecting sentimental items, and I wrote this article in order to explain that this is not hoarding, but rather making memories.