Sports bring brutality? Not necessarily true. | Teen Ink

Sports bring brutality? Not necessarily true.

By martinana_0805 GOLD, Nanjing, Other
martinana_0805 GOLD, Nanjing, Other

Fake it till you make it.

In contemporary times, it is quite common for children to engage in sports such as basketball or baseball, intending to improve their physical fitness and maintain a healthy lifestyle. However, the notion that children who extensively participate in sports will inevitably become aggressive individuals is not necessarily true. Sports can play a crucial role in fostering cooperation and cultivating kindness in various ways.

First and foremost, sports can promote a sense of solidarity rather than aggression. Many sports heavily rely on teamwork for success. Take basketball, for instance. Teamwork is highly valued in this sport, as it is essential for achieving victory. Team members of different positions need to carefully observe and synchronize their movements with their teammates to score goals. Coaches also emphasize the importance of teamwork during training sessions. A skilled team player cannot afford to be aggressive, as it would hinder smooth collaboration. Excessive temper or aggression could undermine the unity of the team. Therefore, engaging in sports can help individuals become more resilient. Even when a teammate makes a mistake, it is inappropriate to blame them while the competition is ongoing. What truly matters is maintaining a unified front and continuing to play as a cohesive unit. This mindset cultivates kindness and a peaceful disposition.

Furthermore, the sporting spirit of "friendship first" can inspire true sports enthusiasts to prioritize pure enjoyment over aggression. Instead of fixating on achieving success, these individuals become deeply immersed in the sport itself and view it as a personal challenge. For instance, the renowned badminton player Li Zongwei is often referred to as "the forever number two" due to his consistent losses to his Chinese counterpart, Lin Dan. Despite this, Li's sporting spirit does not lead him to develop animosity toward Lin Dan. They have become close friends outside of the sports arena. Li competes to push his limits and become a better player, rather than solely focusing on defeating Lin. This example clearly illustrates that, amid intense competition, there are values that transcend mere victory, such as friendship and sportsmanship. When individuals do not fixate on winning or losing, they are less likely to exhibit aggression since everything unfolds naturally.

Overall, engaging in sports extensively helps individuals develop a more peaceful mindset that prioritizes friendship and teamwork over winning at all costs. While aggressiveness may be a part of a player's role on the field, as they are obligated to compete fiercely for their country, it does not necessarily translate to aggression in their personal lives. The true essence of sports encompasses far more than the outcome of a race or competition.

Sports should be embraced, rather than stigmatized.