Packers Playoff Path Prediction | Teen Ink

Packers Playoff Path Prediction

January 12, 2010
By Connor Wilcox GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Connor Wilcox GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Green Bay Packers finished off Week 9 4-4, while the NFC north division rivals Chicago Bears were tied with a 4-4 record and a Minnesota Vikings 7-1 record. Many fans feared a repeat of last year at Week 10 when the Bears were 5-4, Vikings were 4-4, and Packers were 4-4. The Packers then could not even close the simplest of games which led to a disappointing season going 6-10.
Fortunately for the Packers this year they were able to finish the other half of the season with strength and finished 11-5, clinching a wild card spot and hope in the playoffs.
There are many key players this year that excelled in their positions and were able to get the Packers to where they are now. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is one of those players. Rodgers this year had the least interceptions in the league, fourth best quarterback rating, top third down completion percentage, first rushing yards among quarterbacks, and fourth in most passing yards. He also was 25 yards away from passing Lynn Dickey’s franchise record of most passing yards in a single season with 4,434 yards.
The defense for this team has definitely affected the outcome this season with being first in interceptions, second in yards allowed, and first in passes defended. Arguably the best player on the team, cornerback Charles Woodson, made the biggest impact on defense this year. The former Heisman Trophy winner led the league with 9 interceptions, 4 forced fumbles, and 3 interceptions returned for touchdowns; for probably his best year in his professional career. Woodson was selected to the Pro Bowl this year and was nominated most valuable defensive player of the year, but will not find out until January 13th if he has won this honorary title.
The Packers will beat the Arizona Cardinals by a multiple scoring win because of the momentum the Packers have going into the game. The matchup between Woodson and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald will limit the amount of passing yards the Pro Bowl wide receiver. Also with the number 2 star receiver Anquan Boldin injured, the Cardinals will be forced to go to their subpar running game. This will also count as an advantage to the Packers because of their best rush defense in the entire NFL.

Looking at these stats and records I believe the Packers will play well, but not good enough to beat the New Orleans Saints 13-3. The offense for the saints has been more than incredible especially with Drew Brees first in the NFL for quarterback ranking, among other categories. Another key player for the Saints is the dominating safety Darren Sharper, who was a former Packer, is now at the top of the charts for interceptions. Their team is even more impressive with all-star running back Reggie Bush.
The Packers will have to suffer another year out of the Super Bowl, but this young team will have another chance next year.