For the writers... | Teen Ink

For the writers...

December 26, 2008
By rmfinn GOLD, Hampshire, Other
rmfinn GOLD, Hampshire, Other
16 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Call us completely insane. Look at the facts and take a step back -- it’s hard to see why anyone would want to be a writer at all.

But, alas, a many brave souls strive forward, imaginations buzzing, pen in hand and spill their hearts onto paper. And then attempt to show it to the world.

And yes, I am one of them. I can’t remember my pre-writing days anymore -- they seem like a distant echo. And when you get the bug, you can’t stop…

Although some ignorant people don’t wish to acknowledge it, writing is everywhere. The books, magazines, television, film, music and newspapers that make up the media that rule our world all involve a writer at some point -- although it’s not always obvious.

Well, unless you are extremely lucky and talented, the pay isn’t great and you could find yourself frantically scrabbling for work. So why do people bother?

Therapy? Fun? Or the fact that your mind is just packed with so many ideas, theories and stories that the inspiration has to go somewhere? And paper is where you channel this craziness. For most people, it’s a mixture of all three and more.

However, some people just think I’m weird with my crazy writing, mad dream thing -- but, whatever. To me it’s the best job in the world. And someone has to do it…